startrite 12-S-1 bandsaw blade guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetsetwilly

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Evening,

My foray into woodworking machines continues with a venerable Startrite 12-S-1 off fleabay, but I think the blade guides look wrong - can anyone post a pic of their startrite guides please? My upper guide is blocks of iron tapering at the back, plus a bearing running on one side of the blade - is this just a bodge? Could it be a thrust bearing spectacularly badly set up??

Mine (different model but I think they are all the same until recently) has two mehanite blocks (look like iron), one either side of the blade with the taper on the sides away from the blade and pointing downwards (upwards on the bottom guides).

There is a simple rod tipped with something hard that acts as the thrust bearing at the back, the back of the blade touching the end of the rod lightly when under enough pressure.

Hope that helps.

There are pictures on the forum that others have put up I think, if not clear, have a search for them perhaps ?

Cheers, Paul

Here are mine off a 14-S-5

DSC00521Large.jpg

DSC00522Large.jpg

Ian

Beat me to it Ian.

I have the 18-s-1 and it has identical guides to yours.

The OP might want to download the manual from the Daltons website as I think at least one has accessories shown which include a number of different guide systems.

Bob

Good suggestion, have done that and now I'm more confused than before. Not even sure what model my saw is! Anyway, it looks like the guides are interchangeable, right?

Attached are a couple of pics. This is my first bandsaw, but with hindsight I think I was a bit dazzled by the S word when I got it! No lower guide and the upper is, well...judge for yourself.

I guess the best thing would be to just buy a whole assembly?

Attachments

• uguide3.jpg
    uguide3.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 103
  • uguide1.jpg
    uguide1.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 103
I have a set of those guides spare for my machine but no bearings fitted to mine
they use a hardened steel guide (specifically made for each size of blade ) that fits into the guide holders
looks like someone has tried to add bearings to yours

Mines a 14-s-5
the guide is basically a block of steel about 15mm long 20mm deep and 6mm wide
and into the 20mm deep bit it is cut to fit along the back of the blade some are only 3mm deep some are 15mm
so you need 2 matching pair per blade
perhaps they support the blade well though

Ian

Back