Starting with blank concrete block wall - storage suggestion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Have a section kf 10ft of bare wall in my shed that I need to use for storage. Some stationary machinery such as Planner thicknesser and Bandsaw will live quite close to this wall so probably only seeing storage for the upper half of the wall.

Is a sheet of shuttering ply screwed in and a French cleat system the most optimal?

Well, there are a number of approaches. A backing board and individual tool holders screwed to it is the quickest and easiest. If you need to re-arrange anything, you just unscrew it and move it somewhere else. You could spoil yourself and make a tool cabinet with doors, and be surer of keeping things clean.

I use a good old fashioned nail board. Thick piece of ply screwed to the wall and then nails in strategic places to hold the tools, works great. If you need to move a tool to just re position the nails, normally you can reuse the nails as well.

I looked at the french cleat system recently as an idea for a tool wall I've just finished. It seemed to me in all the examples I saw on the internet that there tended to be a lot of wasted space even with the flexibility to move stuff around.

bearing in mind most work areas are NOT in main living areas, the biggest downside of french cleat systems is the amount of insect life that can reside behind it.

but it is the most versatile if youre the type of bloke who re arranges everything every so often .

Anyone have any experience with a type of peg
Board from Ikea called Skadis?

Yep. My son in law bought some of this stuff for his tools. It's useless. Everything rattles loose, nothing is the right size for tools. When you try to unhook stuff the hooks can come out of the board with them. He's making his own wooden board with wooden holders now, and I suggest you follow suit. It's really simple, and much more robust.

I have some pegboard up though round holes rather than oval and as said it's pretty useless unless what you have hung on it never gets used, I left it but screwed on holders as it it was solid board.

I have some magnetic strip tool holders (from Lidl), and they are great, except for non-magnetic tools. They are also not long enough - I need more. Nails and bits of wood on ply should be better, and infinitely more reconfigurable. I just need to buy the ply (which is expensive).

I have also just reorganised my tool shed by making shelving that is purely a frame, and using veg crates as the drawers.
fruit-250x250.jpg
5 crates high = 2 metres. 45mm square pressure treated sticks, and instant storage solution. 30 crates to put things in, all easily accessable, and tidy. I can't find anything, but hey no.

For some insane reason, rather than bang it together with nails in true agricultural fashion, I decided to do it all with mortise and tenon joins, because I needed the practice. 110 joints is good practice, is it not? Took me nearly a week!

and of course you asked permission to have the local stores crates on permanent loan :roll: :shock: 8) 8)

sunnybob":3w0k2yiu said:
and of course you asked permission to have the local stores crates on permanent loan :roll: :shock: 8) 8)

I is a farmer - I've got lots everywhere, being used for everything from holding up plants to chicken nesting boxes to hedgehog removal systems. Taking 30 out of production has put a bit of a dent in the pile...may have to buy some more, or steal them from a neighbour, which is what usually happens. They are €5.00 each full retail, but you can normally find them for less, a lot less if they have someone's name printed on the side!

Latest posts

Back