Starting my first tool restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ex-Counsel

Established Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures before I started - probably due to my childlike excitement. However! Today I started working on my first Fore plane restoration. I offered £6 to the seller on ebay and to be honest, I didn't know what to expect. But they accepted and less than a week later my journey began.

Here's a picture from the original sale on ebay.

Screenshot_20220308-210109_eBay.jpg

Before I took it apart, I could see there were a few issues. Firstly, the iron and chip breaker were considerably rusted and one of the abutments has a crack through it, quite a common issue to my understanding.

There are also a couple of cracks in the top but after the initial panic I thought they looked quite stable and not something I needed to worry about.

20220308_202611.jpg

20220308_202602.jpg

So I've stripped it all down and given the wood a good clean up using boiled linseed oil and some wire wool after removing all of the loose bits of saw dust and dirt with an old toothbrush. I've then left the BLO to soak in for a few minutes whilst separating the iron and chip breaker, which was surprisingly easy considering the amount of rust surrounding the screw. Once I'd done that, and cleaned up the excess oil, I got to work on removing as much of the rust as I could. I had to do this by hand with some 120 grit sand paper over the sink in my kitchen (thankfully, my good lady had gone to bed by this point and is none the wiser about the mess I made). Although it wasn't as quick as a wire wheel may have been, I was only working on both the iron and chip breaker for around half an hour in total. There's still some work to do, like popping a bit of super glue in the cracked abutment and I also want to clean up the top of the iron to showcase the sorby logo a bit more as well as getting a keen edge on the iron.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or thoughts on what to do next.

Here are a couple more pictures of progress. I'll update once I've had chance to get the ither bits done but it's getting a bit late for that now.

20220308_202529.jpg

20220308_202508.jpg

Thanks for reading!

The crack in the abutment may not be a problem but I would feel happier with it glued up. You can use acetone or spirit to clean it out first then either superglue or 2 part epoxi and clamp. Its also a good idea with old woodies to check the wedge sides are not too tight. As the body shrinks the wedge can sometimes cause the side to split out. Light skim with a plane both sides if it needs it. Overall it looks in not too bad shape. Pretty good score for six quid.
Regards
John

The crack in the abutment may not be a problem but I would feel happier with it glued up. You can use acetone or spirit to clean it out first then either superglue or 2 part epoxi and clamp. Its also a good idea with old woodies to check the wedge sides are not too tight. As the body shrinks the wedge can sometimes cause the side to split out. Light skim with a plane both sides if it needs it. Overall it looks in not too bad shape. Pretty good score for six quid.
Regards
John

Thanks for the advice john, I expect I won't get chance to have a go at sorting the abutments out before the weekend. I forgot to talk about the wedge, which was almost perfect, the only thing that was really quite difficult was initially removing the iron and cap from the throat. I think the rust and dust caused it to bind up, after a little persuasion it came free.

I'm planning on getting a try Plane in the near future, after getting some use from this one, but that's probably a way off yet!

Back