Starting a joinery firm from scatch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They didn't want to come out before I ripped the old out, so they had nothing to compare to. It wasn't an issue though as I made storm casements that didn't match existing (the originals were disgusting) and did them all with flying mullions

Had it been more of an issue for me or the customer I would have made them come round and record what was coming out

LOL...last windows I had checked she (the BCO) came out wearing high-heels! She was amazed that we'd put in 1.2u-value dgu's, saying that they usually ask for 1.6 but settle for 1.8.....WTF?

Once again we are getting the cart before the horse.

The issue is simply HOW will you get customers.
WHAT is your idea for marketing.
WHAT is your target market ....wooden replacements for PVC or replica windows for Grade 1 listed buildings.
HOW will you deal with the legislative barriers eg Laws and FENSA and of cousre BC ignorance

These are the first questions to be answered. Unless you can answer them any discussion of kit or window technology is a waste of time.
Al

beech1948":rltd5ll4 said:
Once again we are getting the cart before the horse.

The issue is simply HOW will you get customers.
WHAT is your idea for marketing.
WHAT is your target market ....wooden replacements for PVC or replica windows for Grade 1 listed buildings.
HOW will you deal with the legislative barriers eg Laws and FENSA and of cousre BC ignorance

These are the first questions to be answered. Unless you can answer them any discussion of kit or window technology is a waste of time.
Al

Not at all. It is all linked. Your target market depends on (a) what your skill set it is (b) what equipment you might have or be thinking of getting. Do you want just to do workshop stuff or do you want to get involved with the installation. Renovation of windows on listed buildings requires a complete different outlook and set of kit.

I worked as a bouncer to pay for my first bits of kits. 4 years working the doors I had a few grands worth or tools and hand tools. Then while working in the wood working, building, house renovation trades I built up 10k's worth of tools. Then I started the workshop I have now and have invested 5k in machines about about another 2k in tools. I wouldn't say you need 15k to start out. You will not have the business to compete to start with so getting your foot in the door with say 5-7k will do it IMO. Then as trade picks up you spend the money on the bigger toys. Second hand is always good and there are many auctions where firms have gone under and you can pick up machines for little money. Something you may not have thought about yet is building the shop and insurance.

I bet I have spend about 1k in materials building benches, shelving, storage, stands etc. Insurance for me is about £55 a month which includes alsorts of add-ons, on and off site, in transit, tools etc etc.

As others have said don't set yourself a goal of just making windows and nothing else.

I am a Furniture Maker by trade but when I moved up here in 2005 I took on all sorts of stuff including making windows and set a goal of 3 years to get to the point were I could just make furniture and kitchens etc.

I was at that point in 2008 when a customer I had been working for asked me to to take in all the windows, doors and other bits in a building he was converting.

I was a bit unsure about it as I was going to stop that sort of work but because of the money decided I would do it.

I am so glad I did as that was August 2008 and in October as we all know it all went **** up and Fred the Shred pocketed a lot if money.

But it gave me just under a years work on and off which kept me going.

Last year I finally dropped all the exterior joinery manufacture, partly due the change in the regs but mostly because I did not need it any longer.

But it has taken a lot longer to get here that I had hoped.

Have a goal but don't get to hung up on it as I have discovered you never know what the next enquiry will be and it may be something you had not considered but can make more money from that the thing you were going to do.

Tom

Back