Started a new project today - Burr Oak Davenport WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your comments folks, particularly re the WIPs - I sometimes wonder whether you all think I'm just boring you but will keep them up.

Got the felt fitted around the top etc today so its now completely finished.

So the question is - What will be next??

No skills":xh51y798 said:
For some reason the lacewood interior doesnt grab me, but that oak looks bloody superb now the finish is on - very nice work.

=D>

Isn't it strange, I absolutely love the lacewood. Life would be very boring if we were all the same and liked the same things.

As for the WIP I really look forward to each instalment. I learn a lot from these so do keep them up.

Mick

Well I have bored you with the construction etc well today the Davenport was transported to its new home and now sits in its resting place

DSCF4510.jpg

So tomorrow will be maintenance day - replacing planer knives etc before starting in earnest on the next project

Any ideas??

Rog

That's a really nice piece of furniture - I bet the client is well pleased. Loved the WIP report. I can't believe that you did it in such a short amount of time.

Out of interest how did you estimate the total effort for the commission- finger in the air based on experience or did you work through your sketched plans and itemise what it might take - was your original view of how long it would take accurate?

That is absolutely gorgeous, I personally agree the timber is what makes the piece extra special. I also agree that it's an heirloom of the future I bet when I have great grand kids they see it on antiques roadshow.
The WIP is great as well for those of us who are not as experienced it gives us something to strive for and helps us gain the knowledge to get there.

Thanks Chris.

SurreyHills":1ks9iyys said:
Out of interest how did you estimate the total effort for the commission- finger in the air based on experience or did you work through your sketched plans and itemise what it might take - was your original view of how long it would take accurate?

Through experience I usually know within a whisker how long it will take to make items as long as everything goes to plan :wink:

I actually do all my work for a committed price rather than estimates - I allowed 100 hours to make this and including the delivery it took me 95 hours - but some you win some you lose on the hours.

Thanks for all your comments guys, I must admit I was very pleased with how it looked in the property it was made for.

Rog

It actually reminds me of the carpet my grandparents had over 20 years ago, not bad considering I can't normally remember more than a week ago

Dodge":adkd3je4 said:
Thanks for all your comments guys, I must admit I was very pleased with how it looked in the property it was made for.

Rog

To start with, I thought that the Burr Oak was far too fussy.

But seeing it finished and in its rightful place, I have to change my mind and say that I find it absolutely stunning!

Back