Started a new project today - Burr Oak Davenport WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well today I finished the construction of the Davenport, all internal linings are finished, the mounts and repro ink wells fitted, door lock fitted and drawers skim planed to fit smoothly.

Sorry but no pics today as I forgot my camera but will start finishing next week and it will be job done

I will post finished pics accordingly

See you all on Friday!

Here's a pic of the inside I took on my BlackBerry tablet

IMG_00000087.jpg

Well having had a couple of days off at the end of last week have hit the davenport again today and have spent all day filling the small cracks/voids with shellac stick and wax filled as well as grain filler to achieve a good smooth finish - But after alot of fine scraping and finishing the first coats of finish have been applied and I am going back to the workshop later to continue on it.

Will hopefully get finished by the middle/latter part of the week so will post finished photos then.

Rog

Ok nearly at the end of the road!

After spending alot of time rubbing down, filling the faults in the burr and scraping etc the finish was applied revealing the true colour of the timber - I decided to use pre-cat rather than oil and sprayed two coats, rubbing down between layers and then de-nibbed with webrax before over waxing with Mylands light brown wax to bring out the sheen evident as I didn't want too shiny a finish but one more akin to an aged finish with a nice patina.

Just got to apply some baize trim to one or two places but otherwise its finished

DSCF4415.jpg

DSCF4410.jpg

DSCF4442.jpg

DSCF4428.jpg

DSCF4437.jpg

The Eriba Turner":1xxowsnv said:
That is beautiful Roger and would be a really family heirloom! Is this in your top ten of favourite pieces?

Regards Keith

Yes Keith I think it is - The timber is what really makes it, I have had the wood for a number of years and have been keeping it for the right project - I think I have done it justice.

Looks absolutely fantastic. I especially like the lacewood drawer fronts, but the whole piece is stunning.

Rog,
You should be well-proud of yourself - that is a masterpiece that I hope will grace many a home for genertaions.
I hope the price you're paid justifies all the time and care you have taken, (though I bet it doesn't!)
Well done, indeed.
Greg

To me what stands out is the attention to details. Especially under the lid, the 'stopped chamfers' [?] etc., the little rectangular 'lumps' on the top and bottom of the spindles. Those 'extras' set it apart for me. Would it be rude to ask a 'ball park' value? Ignore if the answer's yes.

I'd rather not say on the open forum but 90 Hours labour plus material costs!

Rog

Amazing!

I have been checking daily to see if there was a picture of the finished piece, and finally!

Fantastic work! Thank you for sharing!
Mindboggling to think of how many types of expertise is needed to finish a piece like that. Very impressive!

As everyone said - stunning work!

I do hope that your customers are reading this too - they should feel very pleased with themselves (a) for having chosen you to make it and (b) for having the good sense to trust you to do it so beautifully without a constricting design brief.

I quite understand if they want to keep their privacy, but I'd be interested to know if they have already bought other pieces from you, and hear their reaction to the finished piece.

I also thoroughly enjoyed this work in progress. As we all now know how do build one now they will be popping up everywhere :D .
Please keep posting your projects they are trully inspirational!

That's a lovely piece, Rog, and thank you for taking the time to share the WIP with the forum. Personally I find the burr just a bit too busy especially on the lower part. But you can't argue about the build quality, first class.

Bob

Crikey that's good. Thanks for the time taken to do the WIP, there must be times when that stalls your flow somewhat.
xy

Latest posts

Back