Start of the new Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work Dave and Tony, it's really nice to see pictures of work in progress. I give invaluable hints :D
It's like a soap opera, I can't wait for the next pictures to be aired :wink:

Work in progress piccies are great. Only problem is they make me feel really guilty about that stack of ash in the guest room... :oops:

Tony, two vices on your bench? You're just showing off now :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Your link is exactly the kind of thing I am thinking of. I have a load of material on PC and microcontroller programing and interfacing to mechanical kit (CNC woodworking anyone? I am working on an indexing fence for the router table to make box joints etc. a pushbutton exercise) to post up too but never got a tuit.

Chris's site is really impresive, not to mention that rocking chair. :shock: :shock: Shouldn't be too difficult to do something similar using Frontpage or dreamweaver. I have had to develop quite a few internal sites in my work and used Frontpage to achieve quite impressive (modest me??) results without too much effort, including side frames.

Alf, you didn't notice the tail vice then? :lol:

cheers

Tony

Hi Chris,

I'd be interested to see what you get up to re: automation - I think if I attempted it, I could manage the software side with a bit of practise but I'd struggle with the interfacing to the mechanical side - can you keep me posted if you develop anything?

Thanks,

NeilCFD

Alf":3drkdf45 said:
Only problem is they make me feel really guilty about that stack of ash in the guest room... :oops:

I could supply a book of first class stamps and an address for you to post it to :wink: :twisted: :wink:

Whats with the parrot, not finding your sea legs are you Alf :?: :lol:

thomaskennedy":2eh2a6y9 said:
I mean the long edge from the picture in ur car,

OK I now understand what your asking Tom, how did I cut the waney edge of off the boards I got from the timber yard.

I used a sled on my saw bench, I have some more to do. I will try to take some pictures for you, as they say a picture is worth a 1000 words :lol:

Neil":36n6mjfp said:
Hi Chris,

I'd be interested to see what you get up to re: automation - I think if I attempted it, I could manage the software side with a bit of practise but I'd struggle with the interfacing to the mechanical side - can you keep me posted if you develop anything?

Thanks,

NeilCFD

Sure thing Neil

I am sorting the mechanism at present which will be similar in some ways to the Incra router fence. Happy to post drawings, photos, code etc. and PM any advice + answer your questions

IO intend it to use a PIC microcontroller with an alpha numeric LCD display. Motion will most likely be a small stepper motor and I may use some old rotary shaft encoders I have from an old Epsom dot-matrix printer for accurate feedback as dust may cause the motor to lose steps.

Cheers

Tony

PS you'll be reassured to hear that I worked for 20+ years as a design engineer before turning to lecturing and thus know a lot more about control engineering than woodworking :wink:

The one Alf has of course. Tony, where have you been??? Remember the big black box in the back of the Renault.....
I did ask Alf if it was healthy, but......
Looks like a Norwegian Green, imho.

Rgds

Noel , who is very glad not to be so famous.

Tony,

Back to the off-topic topic, did I come accross a CNC box joint jig before somewhere on the web. Perhaps you've seen it, if not I'll try and hunt it down. It's nice when you can mix two interests and get something useful and interesting.

Rgds

Noel

OK

Latest installment of Easter project.

I now have door rails and stiles machined and the raised panels finished. Also have cut mortices and tenons in the face frame.
See here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight= for slight oops moment.

Mark_out.jpg

Morticed.jpg

Tenons.jpg

Rails_and_Stiles.jpg

Raised_Panel.jpg

Need to rout all grooves in sides and cut toips to size and then it is carcase construction tiem followed by drawers.

Cheers

Tony

OK

I see

No one deems my careful woodmangling efforts worthy of comment

It's OK, I don't mind. And I had some more up to date pictures to post too...

No really, It's OK

Sob.

Hi Tony

Tony":3aip9c6n said:
OK I see No one deems my careful woodmangling efforts worthy of comment

Sorry but I missed your original post.

Your bedside cabinets are going to be excellent. Well done.

Glad you managed to avoid the biscuit. :roll:

Sorry, cheers
Neil

Tony,

I think all of the replies ended up in the opps post :roll:

I am still impressed by how nice your ash looks, I hope my cherry panels turn out as good as yours are.

I have been distracted from finishing the chairs by trying to get the workshop sorted out a bit. Six of the chairs are complete, 1 needs 2 more coats of oil and 1 has not had any yet :cry:

Aragorn":1c1s5gmt said:
Is that the Japanese chisel from Axminster I see above?? If so, how do you like it?

Unfortunatley, a double edged sword (or chisel in this case). They are fantastic and I love them, very rarely have to sharpen them and they cut amazingly well. they arrived flat polished and sharp which was a nice bonus - I have never had to flatten the backs :D
Also, I have often used 'em with a hammer on oak and then pared to lines without worrying about touching up the cutting edge.

BUT

The actual back of the blade is tiny and often I cannot get the flat back to where I need it and so reach for an 'English' style chisel - only draw back

I would be happy to recommend them to my best mate!

Back