Starrett combi square good price Amazon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed out last time but it was on my xmas list and someone else got it for me 😂

Tempted to get a second as it gets a fair bit of use when you just don't need the big one.

generally better off if you haunt ebay for the same thing used for the same price or less with a hardened head. A used square with a hardened head will always be square and always be smoother (hardened steel over hardened steel burrs less, and already has less friction).

I've purchased about three used high quality non-hardened squares, one mid-grade unhardened new one (PEC) and three older hardened head squares (two lufkins and an old starrett if I recall). All three older hardened head squares are better with better action than any of the others, and squarer than the PEC type and smoother working by a mile (and cost less - about $45 each).

Nobody needs three, but the three subpar squares are gone to ebay, the PEC one I just threw away as I recall - i think it was bad enough to call it defective, and I keep one hardened head square at the bench and one where I typically saw rough lumber 20 feet away in the shop so that it's where I'll use it to mark wood.

I just find the big ones awkward to have on the bench and awkward to use speedily, I guess i have small hands!

I use the bigger ones as needs be and hang it back up again to keep it off the bench.

My one of these is a quality piece in the hand, with a nice weight and solid action. Only that if i don't tighten it that little fraction extra, it can get loose.

Hope you have more luck than I did, ordered a 150mm (bahco brand) combi square from amazon, came today, but missing the blade. Had to reject the package as faulty when it was delivered, as there was another item in the order I had to send that back as well. Hopefully Amazon will sort it all out and send another set of items, but as the driver hasn't got back to the depot yet, it is currently listed as having been delivered. Annoying

It turned up this afternoon and what a lovely little thing, great quality, I can see it will get a lot of use.

Tempted to get one for the tool bag now :rolleyes:

Apparently I paid £36.60 for one , just over 3 years ago. It is always my go to square for getting S4S. I reckon I've had my moneys worth and then some.

Back