Starlet boat.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm completing a Vic smeed starlet that my dad started about 30 years ago.

I have just the frame work see pic.

Anyone have the plans? (I'd be surprised if there aren't a few bits modellers on here!)

Only a few dimensions I'm struggling with like the mast height and the cabin dimensions.

I'm thinking of planking it in cedar which I have glued on with polyurethane glue.

Cheers James
IMG-20211127-WA0003.jpeg

Last edited:
Hope this helps
I googled Starlet Boat Plans and quickly came up with Sarikhobbies Belairkits modelshipworld and others so not free but do the same google search and see what comes up
good luck

That's the frame.

It's covered in 1/16" ply.

Cheers James

Last edited:
Cleaned up the top edge and added the outer transom!

Attachments

• IMG-20211208-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20211208-WA0009.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 19
Thats pretty cool. Will it get an r/c motor?
😄 that reminds me of the hamlet cigar ad with the submarine

Before
IMG-20211211-WA0016.jpeg

After!
IMG-20211211-WA0019.jpeg

Then I thought I could finish bright with deck lines.....at which point my daughter on crutches called me out the man cave to see to the 10wk lab puppy...... So I rushed out crack I hear and the boat has only jumped off its stand and ending up on the floor!

Ding on the bow deck from my dx.... Hot water has got most of it up again.....

Pride comes before the fall .....

Anyway does fine liner bleed under varnish if not which varnish???

Cheers James

First coat of undercoat....

A few runs so need to flatten off tomorrow before another coat. I'm the worst decorator ever!
IMG-20211213-WA0000.jpg

Cheers James

ITS A SAILING BOAT!!🤣🤣🤣

I thought you lived in Devon?!

Or are you a wash making sunseeker owner!!

Cheers James

I found this. The boat length appears to be 34" and if the top diagram is a mast, then that is a total of 43 1/2", with 3" on one end, possibly to be through the deck, and 4" approx the other end, with the central section 36" , which would be 36"+4" or 36"+3". I cant tell if the right side is showing the gooseneck, but i think it is the right side end that is sitting in the coach roof, not fully down into the inside of the hull, and it being mostly kept in place by the shrouds and fore and aft stays.
Starlet model boat.jpg

Yes those are the plans they arrived a few days ago. They print to order apparently!

Yes it's a basic three stayed mast with fractional rig although some have been rigged as masthead, whilst others as gaff and at least one as ketch....

Mine has a few modifications the main being it's 9mm larger all over. I have also raked the transom to match the stem, my coach roof will be slightly longer as I forgot about the 9mm when cutting the deck.

Cheers James

ITS A SAILING BOAT!!🤣🤣🤣

I thought you lived in Devon?!

Or are you a wash making sunseeker owner!!

Cheers James

Its a bit like those obstacles in the road when you are driving along ( cyclists ) you kinda feel sorry for them because they forgot to get one with an engine, but they are still in your way 😀 🤣

What happens when theres no wind? A couldnt afford a sunseeker! We had a little rib but the mrs wouldnt go in it! Im the kind of person who would belt out into the ocean, stop, crack open a cider and just close my eyes for some peace..... i wouldnt want to have to put any effort into it 😆🤣 the rib was good, but i dont have a mooring so it was hasstle picking it up from storage, dragging it back, launch and then the reverse afterwards. Ive got a big sit on top kayak at the mo so i can take the kids across the estuary and it lives in the garden, so 5 minutes to get loaded, 2 minutes down to the beach, 5 minutes to get unloaded and we are off...

What happens when theres no wind?
You drift in silence, only sound is that of the beers being opened and the crackle of the choccy biscuits wrapper.

We had a little rib but the mrs wouldnt go in it! Im the kind of person who would belt out into the ocean
Sounds like the wife is the one with sense in your family :LOL:
A small rib is only suitable for use as a tender or on lakes and maybe a river, but no way is it suitable for the ocean. And sit on kayaks are for single or double use,if its specced as a double, not multiple occupancy, of how many can you fit on board.
Honestly Kev, you sound like an accident waiting to happen :oops:

It must be because you dont ride a bicycle ;)

Last edited:
Its a bit like those obstacles in the road when you are driving along ( cyclists ) you kinda feel sorry for them because they forgot to get one with an engine, but they are still in your way 😀 🤣

What happens when theres no wind? A couldnt afford a sunseeker! We had a little rib but the mrs wouldnt go in it! Im the kind of person who would belt out into the ocean, stop, crack open a cider and just close my eyes for some peace..... i wouldnt want to have to put any effort into it 😆🤣 the rib was good, but i dont have a mooring so it was hasstle picking it up from storage, dragging it back, launch and then the reverse afterwards. Ive got a big sit on top kayak at the mo so i can take the kids across the estuary and it lives in the garden, so 5 minutes to get loaded, 2 minutes down to the beach, 5 minutes to get unloaded and we are off...
I hope I'm not in South Devon when your driving!

It's normally windy in the Pennines so not having a motor doesn't matter much!!

Would love another sail boat! Would like to build one sometime!

Cheers James

Back