Starlet boat.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You drift in silence, only sound is that of the beers being opened and the crackle of the choccy biscuits wrapper.

Sounds like the wife is the one with sense in your family :LOL:
A small rib is only suitable for use as a tender or on lakes and maybe a river, but no way is it suitable for the ocean. And sit on kayaks are for single or double use,if its specced as a double, not multiple occupancy, of how many can you fit on board.
Honestly Kev, you sound like an accident waiting to happen :oops:

It must be because you dont ride a bicycle ;)

She is the sensible one, true.....
The rib was fine out off the coast ( i used it 3 or 4 times in the estuary and about the same going further out )
And i have a marine radio ( no license )

The kayak is a family one, technically spec'd 2 plus 1, but you can easily fit 3 seats ( weight limit was something like 245kg and i weight about 70!! Maybe 75 after xmas )

I hope I'm not in South Devon when your driving!

It's normally windy in the Pennines so not having a motor doesn't matter much!!

Would love another sail boat! Would like to build one sometime!

Cheers James

At some point I'm going to have a crack at a stand up paddle board and matching oar 🙃 just need to find the time

She is the sensible one, true.....
The rib was fine out off the coast ( i used it 3 or 4 times in the estuary and about the same going further out )
And i have a marine radio ( no license )

The kayak is a family one, technically spec'd 2 plus 1, but you can easily fit 3 seats ( weight limit was something like 245kg and i weight about 70!! Maybe 75 after xmas )
:cool:
I've done a lot of sailing, racing and stuff and me and a mate used to run a fast speedboat many moons ago and we even (Stupidly) took the speedboat out onto the high seas with a 6' swell. Realized quickly how silly that was especially trying to get back in with the waves breaking over the back and beginning to flood the boat. And unlike ribs standard fiberglass speedboats can sink if filled with water. Since then I've been a bit feart when it comes to small boats on big waters :LOL:
No offense to you, all said in jest

Last edited:
No worries 👍 im a fair weather chap, no point going and getting wet and cold for the sake of it, so its mostly calm when i went out. Same with bikes, apart from one winter when i used my trike a bit, i stick to good weather 😆

Its a bit like those obstacles in the road when you are driving along ( cyclists ) you kinda feel sorry for them because they forgot to get one with an engine, but they are still in your way 😀 🤣

What happens when theres no wind? A couldnt afford a sunseeker! We had a little rib but the mrs wouldnt go in it! Im the kind of person who would belt out into the ocean, stop, crack open a cider and just close my eyes for some peace..... i wouldnt want to have to put any effort into it 😆🤣 the rib was good, but i dont have a mooring so it was hasstle picking it up from storage, dragging it back, launch and then the reverse afterwards. Ive got a big sit on top kayak at the mo so i can take the kids across the estuary and it lives in the garden, so 5 minutes to get loaded, 2 minutes down to the beach, 5 minutes to get unloaded and we are off...
Sounds like one of the bread-and-butter jobs for the RNLI...

:cool:
I've done a lot of sailing, racing and stuff and me and a mate used to run a fast speedboat many moons ago and we even (Stupidly) took the speedboat out onto the high seas with a 6' swell. Realized quickly how silly that was especially trying to get back in with the waves breaking over the back and beginning to flood the boat. And unlike ribs standard fiberglass speedboats can sink if filled with water. Since then I've been a bit feart when it comes to small boats on big waters :LOL:
No offense to you, all said in jest
My favourite boat is a 45' ferro boat which was a lump in light winds but when it picked up to f5-8 it really picked up it's pace and hammered through waves which sent most over boats to the marina!

Kev do you have plans for a paddle board? Would like a paddle board / sok /dinghy with less than 14" height to go under our mobile home.

Cheers James

Kev do you have plans for a paddle board? Would like a paddle board / sok /dinghy with less than 14" height to go under our mobile home.

Cheers James

No plans as such, i intend to just make it up as i go along.... ive seen a couple of pinterest articles about it and decided i could make a basic jig using offcuts of ply and a sheet of hardboard to set up the ribs and spine

Second coat of paint.

It's being left to dry in swarm room for a week over Christmas.

I'm sure it will get knocked it before I've finished the radio and cabin installation.

Cheers James
IMG-20211218-WA0000.jpeg

I'm completing a Vic smeed starlet that my dad started about 30 years ago

That's really weird. My dad started this model about 30 years ago as well and got as far as building the hull and fitting the keel and then gave up with it. He couldn't figure out the servos etc.

Would be great to see you finish it off 😊

That's really weird. My dad started this model about 30 years ago as well and got as far as building the hull and fitting the keel and then gave up with it. He couldn't figure out the servos etc.

Would be great to see you finish it off 😊
Do you still have it?

Happy to help if you do....

Do you still have it?

Happy to help if you do....

I've just re read my post. What I meant to say was "It would be great to see you finish yours off".

My dad still has his boat and I think is still working on it (he decided to have another stab a few months ago). But I can't see him finishing it, so I'll bare you in mind when he pops his clogs and get my hands on it. Thanks for the offer 😉

I've just re read my post. What I meant to say was "It would be great to see you finish yours off".

My dad still has his boat and I think is still working on it (he decided to have another stab a few months ago). But I can't see him finishing it, so I'll bare you in mind when he pops his clogs and get my hands on it. Thanks for the offer 😉
No probs show him this thread and it will inspire him to do a better job than me!

Back