Stanly/Baily No 5 1/2.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Opinions required.

I have just returned from the car boot with a Stanley - Bailey No 5 1/2. To the point. I paid £15 for it, is that good or bad, honestness please. [-o< The sole is flat along the length, and across the width, and no twist. The only work needed that I can see, is re-grinding the blade.

Must go, Grand prix has started.

All opinions gratefully received.

ATB Gary.

garywayne":1yh7hri6 said:
I have just returned from the car boot with a Stanley - Bailey No 5 1/2. To the point. I paid £15 for it, is that good or bad, honestness please. [-o<
As far as old tool hell down here is concerned, that's very good indeed - I'd be paying another £20 on that and reckoning it was a fair deal. Stanley GB I presume?

Me, I got a wooden handled Yankee #135 and one slotted bit, a big bag of brand new M6 shouldered thumb screws and two rolls of canvas. A slightly more esoteric car boot sale score. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks everyone.

It was made in England.

I take it by width they mean blade width?
If so the plane is "1939 on". On to when I am not sure, but definitely an older one.

If they mean sole width, I don't know what I've got. The sole is 2 29/32".

ATB Gary.

To narrow the date, either post a coupla' photos, or tell us:

Handle material (rosewood, stained beech, plastic)

Blade shape at top (rounded corners, or fairly square)

Depth Adjuster Knob material (brass, plated steel)

Lateral adjuster design (one piece bent, or multi piece rivetted)

Yoke (cast or bent sheet)

BugBear

Thanks Alf, I did wonder what the yoke was. Which is cast.

I've spent all afternoon sussing out how to get an image in the post. I've read the sticky, I shall now attempt a post.

ATB Gary.

Ok, here we go.

First, the handle is wood, I think it's stained beech.
The blade is tapered at the top.
The depth adjuster is brass.
The lateral adjuster is a multi piece.
The yoke is cast.

I shall now attempt two pictures. Not very good quality I'm afraid.

f2ac1998.jpg

f2ac1941.jpg

Sorry about the size, I haven't figured out how to change it in "Imagestation".

ATB Gary.
P.S. I done a preview and pictures where there, changed text and done another preview and pics gone.
So I don't know if the pics will be in the post or not.

Gary.

Cheers Alf. [-o<

I don't know whats happened, or what to do. :cry: Any ideas anyone. It's taken me all afternoon & half the night to post four empty box's. :evil:

Beat that if you can. :lol:

ATB Gary.

Hi,

You might wanna give Photobucket a try Here its "free" and straight forward to use :D .

All you need to do is register and upload your pics.

Once your pics are uploaded to your album there's a box under each pic with 3 lines of code URL,TAG and IMG.

If there isn't then hit the "Generate HTML and IMG code" button

Just copy and paste the "IMG" line into your post and your done :D

Hope this helps

I'm back again. Hopefully with better results :?: [-o<

I would like to thank Alf for coming to my rescue and putting the pics on her site.
Thank you very much. =D>

And thanks to Nailer we have photos. =D>

S-B5.jpg

SBI5.jpg

Again, thank you both very much. :eek:ccasion5:

ATB Gary.
PS. Does anyone remember what this is all about. :-k :lol: you've got to laugh haven't you.

OK. You've got an old'un. That 90% means it's a good 'un.

Well done. Now get tuning (and finally planing).

But for grins, start with the blade. A sharp blade is the 90/10 of planing.

BugBear

bugbear":1lhdhe7m said:
OK. You've got an old'un.
Tsk. And there was I hoping we were going to get in-depth dated analysis along the lines of "Stanley GB discountinued X c.19xx, but burfl X didn't become steel until 19xx, therefore..." I'm drowning in disappointment here, BB. :(

Cheers, Alf

Congratulations on your nice find! BTW, when we talk about width, it refers to the blade width.

Tsk. And there was I hoping we were going to get in-depth dated analysis along the lines of "Stanley GB discountinued X c.19xx, but burfl X didn't become steel until 19xx, therefore..." I'm drowning in disappointment here, BB. Sad

Pheh.

If I knew even of the existence of a UK Stanley type study I might feel a little guilt.

Apart from the square corners on the blade, which is a bit of a secret, all the other indicators are pretty intuitive.

Finer machining and fancier materials normally indicate age. And age normally indicates quality.

(of course, finer machining and fancier materials indicate quality directly, without having to go via an age proxy)

BugBear

bugbear":1vxqz0vb said:
If I knew even of the existence of a UK Stanley type study
Well there's the thing; I wondered if you did, indeed, know something I didn't. Wouldn't be the first time. :)

Cheers, Alf

Back