Stanley Yankee No. 41Y

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got one, and do you use it?
How do you get on with it?
I've just found one, carboot, don't know whether to keep or sell.
It's got 7 bits with it, all is in good condition, works nicely.
Seems the Americans like them, but I can't find much about them in the UK, none on E bay in the UK.
I fear that cordless drill/drivers have killed them off!
Stanley stopped making them in the 1990's, but Garrett Wade has started production for the US market.

Bod

I've got one which I bought yonks ago (not sure of the model number but it's the longest one).

Despite also using a drill/driver the Yankee also comes in for a lot of use here, especially on bigger size screws (both tightening and loosening). There used to be an adaptor sold so you could use normal hex-drive bits (like Torx for example), but not sure if they're still available. But I made one myself from a spare drill/driver extension bit - very simple half-hour filing job.

IMO Yankees definitely still do have their place despite drill/drivers, and for me yours would definitely be a keeper. Even if you use it only once every blue moon it's still a great "get you out of a hole" tool, and I don't know but GUESS their S/H value these days is pretty low anyway, so what's to loose by keeping it?

HTH

I have one but cant remember off hand what model number. I also have the axminster converter so I can use hex bits. but Although I used these 40 plus years ago, I dont now. A battery drill driver is far superior in every way.

Bod":1ubdj48c said:
Anyone got one, and do you use it?
How do you get on with it?
I've just found one, carboot, don't know whether to keep or sell.
It's got 7 bits with it, all is in good condition, works nicely...

...Stanley stopped making them in the 1990's, but Garrett Wade has started production for the US market.

Bod
Seems everyone else has gone off on a Yankee screwdriver tangent (130, 131 & 135).
Yes I've got couple of 41Ys and also the Millers Falls equivalent (and managedto pick up some NOS bits for thr MF). I did intend to use them but haven't so far.

I still recall getting told off as a kid for breaking a couple of the drill bits in one my father had. I guess I'm still scared I might break some more :!:

Cheers, Vann.

A photo of my "Yankee" family.
IMG_1729.JPG

To the left, 130B, centre, Handyman, to the right, 41Y
The 131 is a bigger version of the 130. The bits are not interchangeable.
The Handyman has undergone many changes in its years of manufacture, its bits are unique to it as well.
The chrome 41Y is the type I was asking about. From the answers given, it would appear that this is not a well known tool in the UK.
It's a pure push drill, push down the hand grip, the bit rotates forward, allow the grip to rise, the bit rotates backwards. Could be useful in making screw starter holes, in soft wood.
The down side is the bits, the finer ones are very breakable, and again unique to 41Y.
Tip of the day.
Don't buy one of these, without bits.

Bod

Attachments

• IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 491
sunnybob":3gtb9wi6 said:
why would you have a screwdriver that undoes what you just did?

During joinery apprenticeship ( when drill drivers had only just reached 9.6v and were pretty expensive) everyone had yankees. I think I was only one who actually used them though.
Most of the joiners used 20 oz claw hammer shaped screwdrivers (hammer) and I recall being told “screws were only threaded so you can take them out”. Wasn’t sure if he was serious as there were some complete animals at that place #-o

Getting back on topic, I’ve got a collection similar to bod. Two full size (old wooden handle & my 90’s apprenticeship plastic handle one) mid sized plastic handle and a handyman (same as bods). Can’t remember the last time I used them but definitely something worth keeping.

I remember reading somewhere that they've become very popular amongst computer guys since they were very quick to do up little screws on the computers without torquing them too much and they didn't generate static electricity like powered tools which could risk damaging components.

It's probably the best kind of screwdriver to use on brass slotted screws, you get a lot of feel and speed.

AES":1z3frjfa said:
Awwwww ...... Come onnnn Bob! :?

seriously, this is what he wrote ;

It's a pure push drill, push down the hand grip, the bit rotates forward, allow the grip to rise, the bit rotates backwards. Could be useful in making screw starter holes, in soft wood.

No mention of ratchet or reverse. :roll:

As you say Bob, he wrote QUOTE: ... the bit rotates backwards ..... UNQUOTE: I read that in conjunction with the bit he also wrote about being useful for drilling pilot holes, which I assumed he meant about clearing swarf from the pilot hole. Hence my confusion at your comment, 'cos I thought he meant drilling holes!

Ah, I see the confusion here now which also confused me! #-o

Bod is on about specifically the Yankee 41Y DRILL, not Yankee screwdrivers.

[youtube]up32TJt-w4w[/youtube]

to quote an old song;
"it aint what you say its the way that you say it" :D :D
I've just surfed for the 41Y and its NOT a screwdiver,
its a hand operated push DRILL :shock: :shock:

Who'd a thunk it :roll: :roll: :roll:

I seem to remember that as a young kid I was given a (hand) fretwork set (Hobbies I guess), which had a fretsaw, cutting plate with table clamp (NOT particularly good for the underside of the dining table :), and an "Archimedes drill". That last was a (cheapo) version of the 41Y shown by the OP and was a drill only - NOT a screwdriver.

Never seen that 41Y before though.

Edit for P.S. I think I'm the culprit, sorry! Reading the first post and not checking exactly what a 41Y actually is, I jumped in first off and posted as though the 41Y is a screwdriver - which I now see it clearly aint! Mea culpa, sorry.

My dad had an archimides drill. All wooden handle and slide.
Note to self... my sister kept several of dads tools... email sister.... =D>

Latest posts

Back