Stanley Yankee 130A vs 130B

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a no.130A yankee pump screwdriver off eBay. When it arrived it turned out to be the no.130B. As far as I’m ware they are identical apart from the 130A being an older model with a wooden handle and the 130B a newer one with a plastic handle. Are there any other differences? Both made in England? Both same quality? I ask because usually older stuff is better made and the one I got just feels kinda wonky, like its chinese made or something. I feel I am entitled to a refund but if they are the same quality then I’ll just keep it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_screwdriver#Sizes
Tells all.
Beware of the sizes of bits, there are 3 sizes, and they don't mix!
Yours is the middle size, 7mm diameter.
Get a Hex bit converter, for using modern hex bits. You will be lucky to find genuine Yankee bits new now.
I've got all 3 sizes, but only use the 130B. Fitted with a No2 pozi drive bit. Wouldn't be without it, no batteries to go flat!

Bod

Thanks Bod, I am aware of the technical differences between the no 130, 131, 133, 135 etc..
But there are two different versions of each, yankee A and yankee B. I was wondering are there significant differences between A and B

I think there used to be a version that didn't have the return spring, certainly in North Bros time. Whether that was the original difference, Wikipedia sites, A is made to imperial measurements, B to metric. Very early ones were American, the last ones were German.

Bod
PS
http://thevalleywoodworker.blogspot.com ... amily.html
Has more history, and explains the A/B

Have you had a search through the archives on this Osvaldd? IIRC there are at least two or three threads where the differences may be covered, I know there are some members who have or had a good few of these of various sizes.

Osvaldd":1ahm6rog said:
Both made in England?
You can get them made in Germany (or West Germany) because I've had a German one pass through my hands. I don't know if this was just certain models or all of them. I believe whichever ones they were they are held to be of a high (better?) standard, and the one I had was certainly a peach. But TBH I don't know if it was this way just because it hadn't been used much or was just good and tight to begin with.

Osvaldd":1ahm6rog said:
I ask because usually older stuff is better made and the one I got just feels kinda wonky, like its chinese made or something.
Can you see wear or other signs it has seen heavy use? Possibly it's just worn, but they were produced over a long period and over that time Stanley's production quality most definitely was not uniform as you say!

BTW in case you haven't read this elsewhere these should be stored extended. Long-term storage of anything with a spring in it where it's heavily compressed will weaken the spring, and unfortunately you see this a lot with Yankee screwdrivers because they're a long, awkward thing to fit in a drawer or tool box.

Attachments

• IMG_4230.JPG
    IMG_4230.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 912
Done good there.
Now do you know why many older 2nd hand ones have a "Jubilee clip" on them?

Bod

Jubilee clip held the grub-screw in place as they were prone to working loose and falling out.
Also helped one to get a better grip when cinching up.
Regards,
Dave

Back