Stanley Universal Model 55?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf
Slightly odd experience here.
I 'won' an Ebay auction for a 55 and paid at once only to have payment refused which rang a few alarm bells as I have heard that this is a way of obtaining account details. The guy said it was a mistake but I have backed out.
Trying for a 405 instead :), will let you know how I get on. I only want one of these planes as I have distinct memories of school woodwork where I used one a lot and found it very satisfying, silly I know but .....
Best Regards
martin
PS: The bench now has a tail vise and is just about done.

mahking51":24t144nn said:
Trying for a 405 instead :)
Ahh, nice plane. My first combi... But I've just always wanted a #55, dunno why. :oops:

I only want one of these planes
I remember thinking that once...

as I have distinct memories of school woodwork where I used one a lot and found it very satisfying, silly I know but .....
Silly? Now way. Lucky you to have had woodwork lessons at school :(

PS: The bench now has a tail vise and is just about done.
Excellent. Pics? :D

Cheers, Alf

mahking51":23l0t4t9 said:
Are they collectable, usable or rubbish?
martin

From experience of the 405, I'd say <very> usable for some of the things that otherwise would need the dust and noise of a router.
If you get a chance to add the rounds-and-hollows bases, go for it, as they are an excellent addition.

At the wood autojumble in Northampton on Saturday there was a guy carrying round a rather sad-looking 55, asking for advice on value. I assume he was wanting to sell it, but as the 405 is good enough for me, I didn't take him up on it. Maybe if he or one of his mates reads this, someone could strike a deal?

I've seen three fifty five type planes* in the last week for sale. One was a stanley, with all the cutters, they wanted £100 for it. The other was a record (looked just as good as the stanley) with a lot of cutters. The chap also wanted £100 but I'd reckon I could edge him down to nearer eighty. And a record without cutters for about £45, I think.

Also saw a home-made (hand cast) copy of a fifty five (or close relative to the fifty five, I'm no expert). Mostly in metal, but with some of the fences in wood. It weighed a ton and was about the size of a small car engine. Looked like it might do the business though. It had some record cutters with it. I didn't ask how much he wanted for it, but probably no more than £20.

I also saw one of those disposable blade stanleys, that you change the blade like a razor, that was dead cheap and still in its box (I am kind of tempted by it, but that's a little off-topic).

* Edit--I have just read Alf's page about 'boat anchors' and I didn't realise there quite so many models. Maybe the record was a different model type? #405a? Something like that. I'd need to go back and check to be sure. Like I said, I am no expert.

Incidentally, I have an old woodworking book with a longish (twelve or so pages) section on using and handling the fifty five. Kind of like this (from Alf's site) but more extensive and with more pictures, lists of cutters etc. It is quite interesting. I'll scan and post it, if anyone is interested.

Hey up, John. Is it "The Practical Woodworker" by any chance? And yes, there are a lot of models. Very, very confusing. ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1ec62r4j said:
Hey up, John. Is it "The Practical Woodworker" by any chance?
Umm, yes. Have we 'been there and done that'? It's a good book (three vols.) The hand tools stuff is sound. The plans for the revolving garden sanitorium are a little eccentric!

The plans for the revolving garden sanitorium are a little eccentric!

Sadly, there was a time when such things were vitally needed. Whole hospitals were built with every room facing south.

BugBear

Should be four volumes I think... And no, we haven't been there, done that :D but it is currently still in print, albeit in a truncated version. So copyright might be an issue? Just thought I'd better mention that, 'cos naturally the forum can't condone etc etc... :roll: (I hate disclaimers, but what can you do? :( )

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back