Stanley shooting board on ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score
I have heard mention of these shooting board / plane combos but never seen one . unfortunately its too much money to just get it for fun. I would love to find one at a boot sale for a tenner though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-STANLEY- ... 577wt_1185

Has anyone ever used one ? Seams like it might need constant oiling to stop it making nasty noises.....

A little question for Derek re this combo:...is the price being asked reasonable or?
It seems like a H of a lot to me..
Brian

adidat":3uyvl9c1 said:
i think its a pretty good price, if i had the cash i would snap it up

adidat

850 for the pair - I guess the bottom's dropped out of that market. The price used to be a good deal higher.

BugBear

Thanks for the tip off, I just bought that one on Ebay.

I nearly got one a couple of years ago while I was in the US, it was also complete and undamaged, but the price was way more plus there would have been a bit of an excess luggage issue! I've seen a few 51/52 combos come up for sale in the UK, but they're normally cracked or missing components.

Talking about the LN 51, I did hear a rumour that LN may make a second 51 in a left-handed version, and one reason the chute is such a long time coming is that they're designing it for both left and right hand use. I seem to recall there was a massive Millers Falls shooting plane and shooting board that was designed on similar lines, the plane had two irons facing opposite directions for mitre work.

If you're shooting mitres as opposed to right angles you might be better off with a regular bench plane or the 09. Problem with the 51 is that, without a lot of messing around, it'll only really do one half of a picture frame mitre whereas the number 09 or a bench plane will do both. Actually the sweetest shooting board plane I've ever seen was a shade tree carpenter in India, he had an old wooden jointer with a big hole bored in the back that was filled with a few pounds of lead. The fact that it was a wooden plane meant it tracked really smoothly, and the added lead gave it the heft to slice through fairly big sections of hardwood. Getting a bit off piste here, but I remember he could also complete the Times Of India crossword faster than I can do the silly person level sudoko puzzle in the Sun!

custard":jc5of9wj said:
Talking about the LN 51, I did hear a rumour that LN may make a second 51 in a left-handed version
Correct. Derek Jones, the ed at F&C made an inquiry recently to TLN and the LH version is in the pipe line - Rob

cam":g9fjp3ej said:
A little question for Derek re this combo:...is the price being asked reasonable or?
It seems like a H of a lot to me..
Brian

That's a fair price. I've seen them go a third less and a third more.

Keep in mind that the LN #51 is about half this amount, and I would expect that a #52 shooting board could easily be as much as paid for the Stanley combination.

Incidentally, the pictures I have seen of the LN #52 prototype (on the net) were very similar to the Stanley #52.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Interestingly, there is a 51/52 combination at Amberley Museum in West Sussex. I was talking to the guys there about it and their response was that the plane is fine but they dislike using the iron shooting board which is unkind to the workpiece and generally unsympathetic. They have a wooden shoting board which does exacty the same job and much prefer using it. Thinking about it, I can see their point.

Jim

yetloh":3jj28day said:
Interestingly, there is a 51/52 combination at Amberley Museum in West Sussex. I was talking to the guys there about it and their response was that the plane is fine but they dislike using the iron shooting board which is unkind to the workpiece and generally unsympathetic. They have a wooden shoting board which does exacty the same job and much prefer using it.

Jim

When you say "exactly the same job" do you mean they've built a wooden shooting board with a captive plane in a runner (i.e. a workalike), or that a wooden shooting board can be used perfectly well for shooting (i.e. does the same job) ?

BugBear

I cannot say that I have noticed my boards being marked by the cast iron of the #52, by the addition of a captive plane on the runway would definitely help close the gap on the #52.

RunningFencefortheShootingBoard_html_m44e5a6e3.jpg

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... Board.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

bugbear":m9uuf144 said:
When you say "exactly the same job" do you mean they've built a wooden shooting board with a captive plane in a runner (i.e. a workalike), or that a wooden shooting board can be used perfectly well for shooting (i.e. does the same job) ?

BugBear

They have a wooden shooting board with a captive 51.

Jim

yetloh":3m2w6wda said:
bugbear":3m2w6wda said:

BugBear

They have a wooden shooting board with a captive 51.

Jim

Thank you - perfect description.

BugBear

custard":d85slend said:
Thanks for the tip off, I just bought that one on Ebay.

I seem to recall there was a massive Millers Falls shooting plane and shooting board that was designed on similar lines, the plane had two irons facing opposite directions for mitre work.

Nice.

I seem to remember one similar/or this one you describe in Jim Kingshots book 'the workshop'. It was in the photos of his workshop and had its own stand(or maybe he made the stand), I'm sure it had two handles, perhaps someone with the book could check?

Kingshott's was a 51/52-a-like that he made himself, if I'm remembering Making and Modifying Woodworking Tools correctly.

The Millers Falls is the Rogers Miter Planer, and is a fair old chunk of arn. There are others which go a little further still, such as this Hutchens Patent example. After that, you're into the guillotine trimmer type of thing, where all similarity to a plane inna track is long gone.

Back