Stanley No80 scraper plane blade.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
I have decided that the time has come to go through the tools I no longer use so that I can find the ones I do use.
When going through a box of Surforms ( how many of them do you need?) I came across a Stanley No80 without a blade. I would like to bring this back into use can anybody advise where I could buy a blade for it.
Many thanks in advance.
Paul

I've been looking myself and can only find the veritas blade that fits. Maybe not as long so not as much "life" but plenty all the same.

Axminster and Chronos (Canadian Tools dot co dot uk) sell them. Axminster is out of stock at the mo.

Many thanks for the reply.
Chronos are only a short distance from my house although I have never been there but I will ring them on Monday morning to make sure they have one in stock I will let you know how I got on.

I don't think saw plates will be thick enough. The scraper planes use a blade that is a lot thicker than a card scraper.

As jb99 says the blade for the stanley 80 is thicker than a card scraper.
I have a set of Veritas card scrapers but they are all to thin.

How thick does one actually need to be? I bought a record no 80 without a blade and made a blade from a bit of saw plate at the time, as MikeG has suggested. I've not really had any trouble with it, although it's a rare use tool for me, usually for scraping old finishes off back to bare wood.

I've just measured the one in mine and it's 1.6mm.
I also measured a 22" handsaw and it was .85mm. which is exactly the same as my card scrapers.

powertools":3eh3lfnr said:
As jb99 says the blade for the stanley 80 is thicker than a card scraper........

I'm sorry, but you're just flat out wrong. The Stanley 80 blade is 1.05mm thick, which is precisely the same as my straight card scrapers, and the same as the saw plates I've got set aside for making more scrapers.

I have a few card scrapers with thicknesses ranging from around 0.5 to 1mm
I prefer the thinner ones as they are easier to bend and seem to me to give a cleaner cut.

My No 80 seems to have a much thicker blade, I've not measured it but I'd say its at least 1.6 - 2mm (I'll measure it Monday)

However I see no reason why a thinner blade would not work and in fact may be better than a thicker blade.

Rip saw plate is normally around 1mm and I think would work fine. If you want something thicker maybe an old 5" circular saw blade would suffice I think they are roughly between 1.5 - 2mm thick and one could easily be cut out with a grinder.

Original Stanley 80 blade dimensions are 1/16" X 2-3/4" X 3" long
Converted to metric is 1.6mm. x 70mm. x 75mm.

I bought a Faithfull replacement and the edge crumbled when I tried to burnish the edge to form the burr. Maybe it was a bad one (too hard and brittle) but either way it's not usable.

Jb99":j4ghw1jq said:
I bought a Faithfull replacement and the edge crumbled when I tried to burnish the edge to form the burr. Maybe it was a bad one (too hard and brittle) but either way it's not usable.

Was that with a square edge or a ground angle.
A square edge may give less chance of deterioration.
All scrapers and 80/080 I use have a square edge and burred on 4 edges, 2 top and 2 bottom.
Cheers Andy

MikeG.":3322uz3i said:
Osvaldd":3322uz3i said:
.......thin card scrapers or saw blades work too, but youll have to modify your no80 a wee bit

Really? How? Why?

not sure what to call it, the bed? that the blade sits in is machined to be slightly less than the thickness of the original blade. I think its 1.2mm or so. So if you put a 0.6mm saw blade there the clamp won’t hold it in place, it’ll slip out. You’ll need to either put something in between the clamp and the thin blade or file down the sides a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_4868.JPG
    IMG_4868.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 332
toolsntat":rdayezq4 said:
.......All scrapers and 80/080 I use have a square edge and burred on 4 edges, 2 top and 2 bottom.
Cheers Andy

I think the Stanley 80 is supposed to be ground to 45 degrees so has only one edge-per-edge, if you follow my meaning. I got mine with about a 30 degree grind, so I'm gradually working it down to 45.

MikeG.":jliznvl7 said:
toolsntat":jliznvl7 said:
.......All scrapers and 80/080 I use have a square edge and burred on 4 edges, 2 top and 2 bottom.
Cheers Andy

I think the Stanley 80 is supposed to be ground to 45 degrees so has only one edge-per-edge, if you follow my meaning. I got mine with about a 30 degree grind, so I'm gradually working it down to 45.

Yes that's the norm but I've never seen the advantage, apart from halving the life of the blade so they sell more replacements :roll: :lol:

Latest posts

Back