• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Stanley No8 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnightlunchbox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’m looking for a Stanley No8 jointer plane, must beUK based. I’d prefer a low knob one but will consider a newer one.

Cheers
Craig

Did Stanley make a No8? I don't think they did, but Record definitely made a No8
You're quite wrong on both counts. Stanley did make a No.8 Bailey (as well as a No.608 Bedrock). Record didn't make a No.8, they made a No.08 (and a No.08ss).

And I believe Record are the only British manufacturer of cast iron planes of that size as Stanley No.8 planes were imported from USA. Clifton made No.8 cutting irons and cap irons, but not No.8 planes.

Cheers, Vann.

Cheers, Vann.

I have a 24" wooden jointer that works beautifully.
You can still pick these up quite cheaply, so might be worth considering as an alternative to the new fangled Stanley and Records.

I have a 24" wooden jointer that works beautifully.
You can still pick these up quite cheaply, so might be worth considering as an alternative to the new fangled Stanley and Records.

I have a 22" woodie that I picked up at Bridport market about eighteen months ago for £5, and that works beautifully.
I also picked up a Mosley moving fillister without a fence for £4 at the same time.

Nigel

If you don't have a plane then a no8 is a unusual choice for a first plane?

A no4 or no5 would be a more useful all round plane.

Just saying.

Cheers James

I am assuming, maybe wrongly, that Roberto is an absolute beginner. A no8 is a behemoth of a plane. The usual choice for an all round plane for many would be, as James said, a no5, unless you're flattening or edge jointing large boards, when you would want a longer plane.

Nigel.

I have a Stanley Number 6 that I have no use for. If it is of use then DM me. Apart from a bit of surface oxidation it looks brand new. the box is a bit tatty though.

If you don't have a plane then a no8 is a unusual choice for a first plane?

A no4 or no5 would be a more useful all round plane.

Just saying.

Cheers James
It’s quite the opposite actually, I’m looking for a No8 to complete the run, I have all the other sizes.

Roberto,
I'm pretty sure I have one and be happy to move it on BUT it's in storage for a while.....
next time I open the crate I'll look....
With no disrespect to Roberto, it’s me that’s after a No8 and would be delighted to try and make a deal with you, can you PM me with details please?

Thanks!

Folks, I appreciate all the comments, thank you but, with respect to everyone, the thread is getting clogged with comments that aren’t really relevant here and should probably be on a separate entry.

I am looking for a No8 because I have nearly all the other sizes of bailey plane and would like to get one of each size.

If anybody has one they’re willing to sell please let me know thanks.

Personally the no8 is my favourite user plane. Once it starts moving nothing stands in its way. Its great for starightening long boards and prep work on boards.
I think it feels better balanced than a number 7. But everyone is different

Back