Stanley No78

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanser

Established Member
Reaction score
Its quite an occasion for me to sharpen up and use the No78 instead of the table saw or router. It did me proud..... basically 25mm x 20mm rebated over 4metres but with the 25 mm tapering out to 5mm towards both ends. Wood was 100 year old pine roofing boards with some hard knots. You can't beat a bit of a work out. :D

Did you plane it all or take the bulk out with a chisel first?

Just used the 78. It was cutting well and took a couple of sharpens to deal with the knots. Generally I don't find the 78 the easiest plane but it was pleasant to be stood outside making shavings.

78 is brilliant once you have the hang of it. Better than the alternatives; cheaper (it's unfashionable) but also has a unique feature - the fence covers the unused section of blade and avoids accidental finger cutting - a real hazard with the other designs.

Derek spotted it too http://www.inthewoodshop.com/furniture/ ... lanes.html after I pointed it out to him and he had slashed himself to ribbons with a Veritas :D

Back