Stanley no77 - help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone out there please offer me any advice on the sharpening and use of the Stanley dowel machine. I'm not having much luck with mine and wonder if there are any hints and wrinkles people could offer.
thanks
Simon

Saint Simon":i2ei7bs1 said:
Can anyone out there please offer me any advice on the sharpening and use of the Stanley dowel machine. I'm not having much luck with mine and wonder if there are any hints and wrinkles people could offer.
thanks
Simon

Try an American forum or list; those are rather rare over here.

BugBear

Hello Simon,

I use mine a fair amount and when they are sharp and set up correctly they are a pleasure to use.
When I sharpen mine I use a fine needle type file and try to keep a single bevel as near as possible to the original profile.
When the blade is fitted it is just a case of adjusting it back or forth to suit the timber being cut and the size you require to the nearest cutter block you are using.
Make sure you cut the square stock only 1/8" bigger than the size you need.

If you need a copy of the original instruction booklet or a photo of a new blade let me know.

Merlin

Hello Simon,

Here's a few photos of the cutter and the booklet.

Cheers, Merlin

77 booklet 1.JPG
77 booklet 2.JPG
77 bool;et.JPG
77 blade.JPG

Attachments

• 77 blade.JPG
    77 blade.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 910
  • 77 bool;et.JPG
    77 bool;et.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 910
  • 77 booklet 2.JPG
    77 booklet 2.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 910
  • 77 booklet 1.JPG
    77 booklet 1.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 910
Thanks very much for the info. I think my sharpening is probably not up to scratch yet. I'll return to it better informed.
thanks
Simon

Back