Stanley no 5 question - nickel plate.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarviser

Established Member
Reaction score
and minor gloat...
I just picked up a Stanley no. 5 from a local flea market for 20 quid, mainly because it looked like a well-cared-for user, and it has a Smoothcut laminated blade which is worth almost the money anyway.
Question - It seems to be Nickel Plated. Were they ever made that way or is it a user mod? The frog is black with forged Y-lever and 3-part lateral lever stamped "Stanley". The lever cap was once nickel plated but has been polished off.
stanley5.jpg

Jarviser
Nice find, instant plane jewellery! :)
Never heard of a nickeled bench plane, but why not?
Funny how the plating on the lever caps nearly always isin bad nick, I've a No5 I'm working on where it came off in sheets with a razor blade but lovely underneath when polished on a mop with grey compound.
Regards
Martin

I am hoping this lever cap will take kindly to a little polishing compound.
Funny how someone who obviously took care of a plane and fitted a nice blade can't grind one to save his life.

Jarviser":wd5akz8z said:
and minor gloat...
I just picked up a Stanley no. 5 from a local flea market for 20 quid, mainly because it looked like a well-cared-for user, and it has a Smoothcut laminated blade which is worth almost the money anyway.

Nice buy!

BugBear

Since the first post, I have reground the blade, flattened the 6 thou dish out of the sole on float glass, polished up the bling on the base with a stencil brush and polishing compound, ditto on the lever cap, looks a treat and cuts very nicely. The photo at the start of the post has been updated.
I guess the answer to my question, did Stanley ever plate them, is a definite no!

Back