Stanley Made in England Thread Sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends.
The course ones are UNC, I think memory says 1/4.
The fine ones are UNF.

They can be tight if the chrome finish as pitted and lifted.

You will need a sharp plug tap to fit the sole hole and the brass screw.
The First and 2nd tap will bottom out.

You may find that some one has put in a Whit in the UNC hole, it will fit there is a few degrees difference on the pitch of the threads.

Hope this helps.

I think this question has arisen a time or two before. From memory, the thread OD and pitch give a long-discontinued thread from the American standard threads that preceded the adoption of UNF standards. For some reason, Record copied them directly when they started making Bailey planes in the 1930s, and both Stanley and Record used those threads until quite recently.

I've just measured a 1950s (or thereabouts) Record No5, and both the long stud and small screw securing the rear handle are 0.212" OD x 20tpi. When I bought the plane, it came sans front knob stud; I remember having to set the lathe up to screwcut a new one - no currently available size of studding would fit.

Also from memory, someone in America has had a batch of suitable taps and dies made up, so Googling "Stanley Plane Tote Threads" or similar may bring up the source. Failing that, someone who actually knows the supplier's details will hopefully chip in.

Edit to add -

It has cropped up before - replacement-tote-screw-for-stanley-no-4-t86223.html

And here's another source - https://handtoolmanual.com/screw-sizes- ... ch-planes/

It's a 12/20 thread or 7/16th whitworth.

You can drill and retap it to M6.

Pete

The_Yellow_Ardvark":1l0awhxt said:
Depends.
The course ones are UNC, I think memory says 1/4.
The fine ones are UNF...
This is incorrect (hammer) .

The thread is 7/32" 20 tpi Whitworth form (i.e. 55 degrees) but not BSW. This is not a standard thread.

I believe that sometime in the 1990s Stanley UK changed to a standard metric thread.

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back