Stanley Made in England Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Its a shame that there is little accessible info for Stanley made in England.
I'm trying to find out when Stanley (Made in England) planes e.g No 41/2 used castings and parts made by Qualcast. I have one of these with the handle and tote nuts made of Aluminium (?) not brass and the depth adjuster is bright metal shiny not chromed not brass.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSCF5422.JPG
    DSCF5422.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 32
Theres not much out there on English Stanley’s I’ve been looking for a while, the only place I know about is a Australian forum I don’t have it to hand will hopefully post it tomorrow

...I have one of these with the handle and tote nuts made of Aluminium (?) not brass and the depth adjuster is bright metal shiny not chromed not brass.
Any ideas?
My, bought new in 1973, Stanley No.4 fits that description. The depth adjuster wheel on mine is cadmium plated steel. Is the yoke on yours cast or two.bits of sheet steel?

I think they only came like that for about 5 years.

Cheers, Vann.

Try this site, okeydokey. It's still presented as a 'draft', so don't know if it's still in progress or the contributor has found other things to do.

As others have said, don't swear any oaths based on your age determinations, parts are far too easily swapped, for all sorts of reasons. Some substitutions are easy to spot but some are much more difficult to call out. The most reliable ageing method is probably a known history all the way back to the very first owner! ;)

We've put up a "sticky" thread on the Ubeaut forum, with links to dating & other useful info on planes of various breeds. It can save you a bit of time depending on what you are looking for....

Cheers,
Ian

Hi Vann two piece same as yours? I guess mine must be about 1970's then, Cadmium plated steel wonder why they did that, its a bit shiny but does the job !
Thanks Ian some useful sites there

Back