Stanley Logo "Orange"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippityNZ

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently restoring a Stanley Type 13 No 8 Jointer.

The Lever Cap is in beautiful condition and has polished well.

Should I paint the "Stanley" Logo orange, or just leave it grey?

As Phil is hinting, there are different ideas about what is needed to restore a plane. Some people, myself included, will attend to what is required for it to function (sharpen the iron, free up all moving parts) but leave the finish as it is (apart from removing rust and loose dirt).

Others want their old planes to look brand new.

Which end of that spectrum you prefer is up to you and I don't think anyone here will want to change your mind for you.

That said, if you do decide on orange, and want an easy source of a wide range of shades in small quantities, a visit to your nearest nail polish counter awaits!

I could be wrong, but I think Stanley USA planes of that era had a black background. The orange came later.

Just off to visit a Stanley dating page to see if I'm correct... (hammer)

Cheers, Vann.

AndyT":dkjszcqh said:
As Phil is hinting, there are different ideas about what is needed to restore a plane. Some people, myself included, will attend to what is required for it to function (sharpen the iron, free up all moving parts) but leave the finish as it is (apart from removing rust and loose dirt).

Others want their old planes to look brand new.

Which end of that spectrum you prefer is up to you and I don't think anyone here will want to change your mind for you.

That said, if you do decide on orange, and want an easy source of a wide range of shades in small quantities, a visit to your nearest nail polish counter awaits!

Model Master 2022 International Orange FS12197 seems to be right on the button :)

Personally I'd take the opportunity to have the lever cap all-metal as I like the look this gives on lever caps that are sans plating. I'd take this option in particular if it has a keyhole- rather than kidney-shaped screw hole.

But if you want it orange there's no need to be especially fussy about the colour. While Stanley were remarkably good at being able to keep this colour consistent over the years (I have two planes 50 years and an ocean apart where the colour is nigh-on identical) different photos seem to show variation in the hue. Now photos are notoriously unreliable as to absolute colour, however they can be quite good when it comes to relative colour and it's not hard to find shots showing multiple planes where some variation is seen. On a couple of occasions I've had the chance to have two or more contemporaneous planes in my hands at one time and seen this firsthand, confirming it isn't a photographic artefact.

BTW congrats on scoring an 8! eBay or local find/acquisition?

I had a Lever Cap for a Stanley 4 1/2 electroplated (chromed) a couple of weeks back. The finished product looked great, but the cost of NZ$46 kills any resale value the plane may have :(

The #8 was off TradeMe - NZ's equivalent of eBay, I guess :)

Vann":1jei496u said:
I could be wrong, but I think Stanley USA planes of that era had a black background. The orange came later.

Just off to visit a Stanley dating page to see if I'm correct... (hammer)

Cheers, Vann.

I Agree,
Me too knew orange logo bench planes were type 15. Also, the frog sides sometimes were orange painted, too.

Ciao
Giuliano

Back