Stanley lateral adjustment lever disc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyP

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am cleaning up a 1960s Stanley Bailey no 4 plane and have noticed that the disc on the lateral adjustment lever is missing. Does anyone know what the dimensions of this are so I can make a replacement. Also is this normally riveted to the lever. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200424_191418.jpg
    IMG_20200424_191418.jpg
    873.7 KB · Views: 387
The disc fits in the slot of the cutting iron to push the top of the iron left or right for lateral adjustment. Thus, the disc just needs to be a neat sliding fit in the iron slot; not too tight or installing the iron after sharpening will be difficult, and not too sloppy or the lateral adjuster will just flop around. Disc and lateral lever are riveted together, but any means of holding the two together will be suitable - provided the disc isn't prone to falling off!

As it won't ever be subjected to heavy loads (lateral adjustment usually being a fairly light touch job) or excessive wear, almost anything you have to hand will do. Bog standard mild steel, piece of brass, something like that. Rummage in scrap bin!

Andy, are you going to be detaching the lateral adjusting lever? I think I'd be tempted if I had a frog in such a bad state, and it also looks like the lever may need straightening.

Thanks I have some brass that will do nicely.
Mike
I'll have a better look but may strip down further, it's soaking at the moment as the adjusting knob is seized. As you can see the whole thing is in a bit of a sorry state.

Attachments

• IMG_20200424_190157.jpg
    IMG_20200424_190157.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 340
In case you prefer a numerical answer, I'm just sharpening a plane of similar age. The disc is about 11.4 mm or 7/16".

AndyP":1bunb7tz said:
Thanks I have some brass that will do nicely.
Mike
I'll have a better look but may strip down further, it's soaking at the moment as the adjusting knob is seized. As you can see the whole thing is in a bit of a sorry state.

Having suffered the same initial problem, missing disc, a kind member here sent me a complete frog, from which I removed the disc.
Now you have a seized adjuster, if you would like the frog complete with fully free adjuster and matching screw, drop me a PM (no charge as I was given it)

Bod.

Bod
Thanks for the kind offer but I have managed to free the adjuster up so it is ok.

Back