Stanley disposable razor, I mean plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone know the name (or model number) of those stanley disposable blade planes? They looked just like normal planes but had some silly disposable blade that clipped, I think, into a housing in the chip breaker. They did a jack plane version, and I saw a rabbet version, new-in-box, that was going very cheap, the other day. I think they were a sixties or seventies thing.

Has anyone ever handled one? I am pondering, in my slightly mad fashion, if it would be possible to convert the rabbet one into a proper rabbet plane (probably with a fair amount of blade grinding and fettling involved.) by putting in a 'proper' blade (I am assuming that stanley have long since stopped selling the disposable replacement blades).

It is probably a silly idea, but if I could find a picture or two and some info on them (can't think what to put into google to find anything) then I see if the idea was feasable.

Hi John

I think you are refereing to the RB10 or RB10F as its got on the box
Blade No RB106 curved
RB108 straight
RB109 special ?

The same question has crossed my mind .The frog is held in place with 4 screws.If you could maybe modify a spare frog it could possibly work.

I guess someone who knows more (even tried it) will be along soon

Paul

thewoodgnome":37blvzij said:
I think you are refereing to the RB10
Ah yes, that's the one. I am suprised to see they are still making them. I thought they were an older idea that never took off.

Using a frog from another plane is an interesting idea.

pl29.zoom.jpg

Thanks mr woodgnome

John,

I have a suspicion you might be casting pearls before swine there... You might have a better bet if you can get hold of an Anant bench rebate plane, as presumably an old Record or Stanley is out of financial reach? At least it'd give you a point from which to start fettling, which I'm not sure the RB10 would. :-k

Cheers, Alf

I was brave (stupid) enough to pick up the block plane version that can be switched between chisel mode (with the blade at the front) and typical block plane configuration. I messed with the "plane" for about a half hour and gave up when I figured out that it wouldn't cut warm butter without digging in or chattering. Now it's sitting on my shelf gathering dust.

I pity the person that picks up one of these as an introduction to hand planes; it'll certainly be their last.

Alf":6ekpfawi said:
John,

I have a suspicion you might be casting pearls before swine there
That rather implies my fettling skills could be described as 'pearls', which is going a bit far!

This is probably a silly idea, and the Anant, or old Record route would be the way to go. The thing with older rabbet planes is that I just never see any. I guess they come up on ebay from time to time.

Back