Stanley Chute Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mondo

Established Member
Reaction score
I own a Stanley #51/52 Chute Board and plane which is missing the T-pin. I would like to fabricate a replacement that is functional but obviously not original. Does anyone know where I can get a measured drawing of this part and what material it was made from? I'm thinking of using stainless steel because I think it unlikely the original was in stainless. Thank You.

Restoring%20a%20Stanley%205152_html_m6530f939.gif

Not a whole lot to measure - do it by eye. Take the diameter from the existing hole. I think mine is high carbon/tool steel. I do not have it close by to take measurement.

Regards from Perth

Derek

What novocaine said. I cannot see any necessity for it to be other than mild steel. One of the softer alloys of SS (i.e. one that turns & threads nicely) would do fine, I'd say, even brass would do the job. Looks like a very easy part to make, but wot about the thread? Is it another of Stanley's archaic size & pitch threads, or a 'common' size?
Cheers,
Ian

The reason I was thinking about using stainless is so that when my wife comes to her senses and murders me and sells off all my tools the next owner will know that it is not an original part. As far as threading goes I don't think it is. I suspect that it's just a taper. But never having seen one I don't know. I also don't know how long the taper is, what the end diameter is and whether it has a round or blunt point. That is why I posted hoping someone here has one and could illuminate me. Thanks again

Restoring%20a%20Stanley%205152_html_m6530f939.gif

Not a whole lot to measure - do it by eye. Take the diameter from the existing hole. I think mine is high carbon/tool steel. I do not have it close by to take measurement.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Is it possible that you could take the t-pin out and lay it next to a rule?. That would be a big help. Thank You.

Back