Stanley bailey no 4 spares

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy69

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all, I'm trying to restore my wife's grandfather's old plane which is in pretty bad shape. I noticed what looked like a snapped part but don't know the name. I'm not sure it's really worth it but it would make her happy if I used it. Cheers
20210623_190218.jpg

What that part is called is a very good question, adjuster yolk? I think that if I were you I would trawl the second hand shops for a number 4, Stanley/Bailey planes can be picked up for about £10 depending on condition around here. Sometimes less if they are just a rusty lump but that shouldn’t bother you. Ian

It's a "yoke".

You may prefer getting an entire frog if you don't want to change out the pin and yoke (not sure how much a yoke will be -frogs are about $25 here. (but on the ground, planes can be a lot less than what they are online and some would choke at $25 for a frog).

Thanks for that. The pin came out surprisingly easily so I might try to find one. Tbh, the plane is quite badly damaged with a repaired crack near the mouth so it might end up getting put back together and put on the shelf as is.

What make is it?
Might be worth looking at bay and buying a donor plane and use the handles ironwork and whatever is good from your one to keep the spirit of the original plane alive if there is the sentimental requirement

What that part is called is a very good question, adjuster yolk?...
A yoke, but also known as the 'Y' lever.

...the plane is quite badly damaged with a repaired crack near the mouth so it might end up getting put back together and put on the shelf as is.
If the repair is well done there's no reason the plane wouldn't work as intended. The resale value would be greatly reduced, but that doesn't matter if it's being kept for sentimental value.

On the other hand, if the alignment is poor, or the heat of the repair has distorted the main casting, then it may never be a goer. In that case you could buy another and move the frog and handles on to the 'new' main casting. Then it's like grandpa's axe (only it's grandpa's plane ;)). Edit: or what okeydokey said.

I think I have a spare yoke - but sending it from New Zealand might not be worth it. I think WH sell Clifton yokes in brass/bronze.

Cheers, Vann.

Back