Stanley Bailey Lever Screw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartecosse

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently bought a large box full of old rusty tools and in amongst a lot of rubbish was three planes one of which is a Stanley Bailey one that is only missing the lever screw.

Will any correct thread and length screw suffice or do they have a specific shaped head etc on them?

I don't own any others to compare them to.

Looked online and all I can find is complete sets of spares.

Thanks

Lever cap screw?

If so, yes any round/pan/dome headed machine screw of a length suitable should work fine, but wouldn't be surprised if the thread or pitch is something weird... Depending on the planes' origin and age.

heimlaga":8nvf8a4g said:
It should have non-standard threads.

+1, Stanley traditionally used an unusual 7/32" diameter 20tpi thread. The easiest solution is to salvage screws from planes that are otherwise knackered

Just like the previous owner of the box of old rusty bits did!
And so the cycle repeats.

Thanks for the suggestions.....need to dig through some parts bins for a suitable screw then.

There was the stanley Bailey, two wooden box type planes, five brace bits, a complete set of wood augers/bits for them, some other weird bits and about 20kgs of various metric and imperial spanners plus a few hammers, two lovely old saws.

Not bad for twenty quid so if I need to invest I a new screw I think I can afford to do so :)

Unless you have really exceptional parts bins, the only place you'll find the right thread will be on a screw from another plane. If you don't want to buy a special spare, your easiest option is to drill and tap to the next metric size.

Or buy a die of the correct thread and set yourself up in business re-threading larger turned down bolts, I have so many left hand thread strange size die's it takes a while to find the right one, is that a pun.

Mike

A quick look on ebay showed said item, bundled with a couple of frog screws, for £3.50 buy-it-now. There are probably others, too. A lot cheaper than the die, I'll guess.

Sheffield Tony":19lkyklk said:
A quick look on ebay showed said item, bundled with a couple of frog screws, for £3.50 buy-it-now. There are probably others, too. A lot cheaper than the die, I'll guess.

Could you post a link or item number please?

I am obviously searching the wrong way for that as I can't see it.

Thanks

Back