Stanley 78

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfarris

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a Stanley kit 15 for my no 78 as i needed a rod
What i have been sent has a wider diameter thread and will not fit

Using my calipers the thickness of the thread part of the rod comes out at 6.24mm

When i put my calipers in the threaded hole of the plane i get 5.27mm

Can some tell me what size i need

thanks in advance

I've taken some measurements off mine. After doing so, I realised it's actually the Record version, the 078, but there's a chance it's useful so I'll post anyway.

The rod itself is 9/32" (7.14 mm) diameter. 3" long overall, of which 2 9/16" is plain, 7/16" threaded.

The threaded part is 1/4" and 26 tpi, which is a BSF (British Standard Fine) thread.

Using calipers like you, I get 5.94mm and 5.27mm.

I think that all this means is that we are both looking at a 1/4" size threaded part. You still need to know threads per inch.

UNC would be 20, UNF 28, but Stanley threads rarely match surviving standards.

The fence rod of my Stanley 78 is threaded 1/4" UNF 28 TPI . The diameter of the rod is 7.05 mm. The overall length of the rod is 74 mm and the distance from the end of the threaded part to the shoulder is 10 mm.

Looking at my Stanley 78,(As to age it's box gives all measurements in imperial,and its leaflet is 78/55)
My measurments agree with Andy's except the threads are 28 TPI, giving a thread of 1/4x28 UNF.
Hope this helps.

Bod.

At least you know what you want, and that a Record one, while looking very similar, will not fit.
I wonder what the spares kit will fit? Possibly a much newer 78 plane? Isn't progress fun!

Back