Stanley 750 series chisels - worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or maybe where tool collecting meets stamp collecting and the lure of the 'full set' takes over? Used stamps have no inherent value at all, but can be worth a mint. if someone owns every other Stanley tool perhaps these will make him happy!

I'll not be bidding though. :wink:

Hi David

The original Stanley 750 chisels are very nice. I have a set I put together over several years, somewhat modified to meet my personal specs, but they are good high carbon steel .... indeed I prefer mine to a couple of sets of Bergs I have had over the years. As you know, the LN chisels are modelled on these, and Stanley attempted to grab something from their reputation by bringing out the lukewarm Sweetheart series.

As to value, the 1/8" chisel is very rare, and alone can command in like-new condition at least $500, I would expect this set to sell for at least double what it current.

On a train to London

Derek

surely somebody will just "buy it now" if that is the case?

Time for a closer inspection - I reacted to the 1/8" and assumed that the rest were in the same class.

The 1/8" is the valuable chisel here. The 3/16" runs close. These two can run hundreds of Dollars each. The remainder are not in the same class - the handles have the red paint, but I do not see decals. The 1/4" chisel is missing and the 1/2 - 1" sizes look too small in the blade to not hae been ground back somewhat.

OK, so not a very high priced set, but with some valuable items within the set.

On a train to London

Derek

Interesting. I have a couple of 750s and about 7 LN socket chisels of the same pattern. As collectors items these may well have value but I think the LN chisels are better. You can get a set of 10 Blue Spruce for around £600 and they are extremely fine, with beautiful handles. Still collectors pay fancy prices and the point above about stamps is a great example of market irrationality.

Back