Stanley 75 plane boxed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

stupid boy!
Reaction score
I recently inherited some tools, including this Stanley 75.

s75 (1).jpg
s75 (2).jpg
s75 (3).jpg

I read from reviews that it is awkward to use, but I shall try anyway!

Is it possible to date this from the box label, the decal and/or the markings on the iron? Any tips gratefully received.

A cheap cowpat that might solve a problem or make an existing problem worse.

I'm not and expert but the box looks 60's or 70's.

Tidy it up if you want, it can be fun to restore things. Or put in a drawer and see if you ever actually need it.

I'll agree with that..... the box looks to be more 1960s to me. It's quite sturdy - they got a little thinner in the cardboard during the 70s.

Sometimes in these cases, a price will give it away.
In those days, the manufacturer being able to fix the retail price was perfectly legal - unlike today, and set prices remained that way for a long time. The notion of inflation set in during the 1970s and prices went up fast.
Sometimes the retailer would pencil the catalogue-sale-price on the box, often the lid or label-end and this would tell you the age from the manufacturer's catalogue price.
If the price was in pounds/shillings/pence (or in shillings and pence) then, broadly speaking, it was pe-1970; if it were priced in decimal only, post 1971. There was a period of a year or two either side of the change-over in 1971 when you may see both, but not often.
Some retailers at the time took the opportunity to 'round-up' or to 'adjust' the prices to the newer decimal rate with a little built-in inflation.....

As for the plane, I think that it was at the entry-level-end from a well-known maker, being polite about it. However, it may well be a good user with some sympathetic 'fettling'.
The fact that it has the box in reasonable condition, nowadays that's a value-bonus for certain collectors.

I have one of these and agreed it's definitely entry level but it has it's uses in tight corners, your box is in much better nick than mine

Don't knock em!
Every now and then they turn out to be just what you need to finish off a tricky little detail and more useful than you ever imagined!

Don't knock em!
Every now and then they turn out to be just what you need to finish off a tricky little detail and more useful than you ever imagined!
Even a cowpat makes good manure.

Even a cowpat makes good manure.

lol

thanks all. This was my father-in-laws, so I will try and do something with it. I also got a Paramo 10 and a Lewin combi, along with a huge box of chisels/saws/etc. He did have some nice bench planes but I don't know what happened to them.

Back