Stanley 71

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Anybody know what the foot thing on a post is for on a 71?
I couldn't see any obvious purpose.

It's the cutter...
er, no it isn't!
I've found out - apparently it's the "shoe" and allows you to use the tool on a narrow board edge such as for a door hinge pocket

I feel I should use mine more given how expensive they are now 😂

I did enjoy using it when I made my bench to be fair.

I feel I should use mine more given how expensive they are now 😂

I did enjoy using it when I made my bench to be fair.
My thoughts exactly! Then I thought the better of it and put it on ebay. Loadsamoney!
I might regret it come to think as I noticed it has countersunk screw-holes in the top so you can add wooden fences etc. But I've got other kit - too many tools.

As triton said.

Theres a few other situations where it becomes necessary. For example, using the tool (along with the tiny fence) to groove the edge of a board. As a substitute for a plough plane. Using a plough plane is much nicer/easier but the router can do it.

OK today I have learned a bunch of things about the 71. So far I have never used the foot as I had been told it was a depth stop and I just could not see that as being required because the cutter depth is already doing that. Will have to have a go with it as a foot just to see how it goes. As for the fence I could see its purpose but have never been in a position to have to use it either. I really like the 71 and use it a lot but so far never needed the extra bits.
Regards
John

@Orraloon start putting inlays just in from the edge on table tops and you will use the fence a lot especially if they are round table tops and don't have an Ulmia 728/1 or 2

Back