Stanley 71 fence screw size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wend

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm planning to make a home for my Stanley 71 and all its parts on my tool wall, but one of those parts is a screw for attaching the fence which I'm sure will vanish if I'm not careful. I thought that I would get an appropriately-sized nut, and either glue that to the tool wall, or use it to attach the screw to the fence.

However, I can't work out what size I need to find. I've measured the diameter as about 3/16", and it looks like there's something in the region of 25tpi, but I don't think my numbers are too accurate. Does anyone happen to know what size it would be please?

And what sort of thing should I be looking for? I see some UNC/UNF sets on Amazon; would it be one of those? Or https://handtoolmanual.com/screw-sizes- ... ch-planes/ mentions "Whitworth"; is that it?

Thanks
Wend, feeling a little lost in a sea of standards and sizes!

Just checked mine it's a 12/20 thread the same as the frog screws.
I have a few spare screws if you want one, you can also drill and tap the holes to M6.

Pete

If I'm reading this right, you have the screw, so don't need one of Pete's spares.
I suggest putting the screw and fence in a little ziplock bag and hanging that on the tool wall.
I predict it will be a long time before you need to open the bag!

If you don't like that idea, just drill a nearly right size hole in a scrap of softwood and drive the screw into that.

Sorry late at night skim read the post.

As Andy says just screw it into some soft wood, or some small magnets set into the wood would hold the parts in place.

Pete

Yes, thank you for the kind offer, but I've not managed to lose it yet :wink:

The page I linked to suggests 12-20 is equivalent (close enough) to 7/32″-20Tpi Whitworth, but the table on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_S ... _Whitworth says that 7/32" is 24Tpi, so now I'm even more confused.

All things considered it looks like it will not be worth the while to find a set including a suitable piece, so I think I'll just store it some other way as you suggest.

As for tapping holes, taps and dies look like neat bits of kit, but I haven't been able to convince myself I'd actually find any uses for them. Still, worth bearing in mind should the screw go walkies.

Thanks again!
Wend

7/32 20tpi whithworth is right.

I have the correct tap and die do you want me to tap a piece of wood and send it to you?

Pete

Back