Stanley 67 shaves??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
I have tripped over a couple of these:
6702.jpg

6701.jpg

and would love some info from the experts!

The upper shave has an iron stamped Pat Feb 25.96 and has a straight sole and moveable fence; the other has a Made in USA stamp and the Stanley Sweetheart logo and also has L&R left right stamps in the body casting and the curved sole.
Why the twin left and right holes for the alternate handle position?
Presumably I can get one complete unit out of these two?
Also got a quite nice 55......Alf 8) 8)
Regards
martin

Martin,

New ones came with both flat and curved soles. The twin holes are 'cos there's a LH and RH thread on the handles to stop them unscrewing in use in the "normal" position.

Chris
Thanks for that!Which unit is the newer one please?
What amount of 'cleaning' is acceptable here? I was thinking of 0000 steel wool and wax on the wooden handles and a small brass brush on the metal.
Cheers
martin

Martin
You are a lucky g*t! I am coming car booting with you next weekend!!!! :twisted: :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Martin,
I don't know which is the earlier. I don't think the iron tells you anything simply because it is removable. The 1896 date is the patent date for the (Stanley universal spokeshave - which these are), I guess that a search on the Old tools list or in the patents will tell you which is which. Then again, Alf is sure to know!

BTW, the upper one has its fence just as the lower one should. If the soles are interchangeable on these two models, the you have one fully equipped shave!

Me? I'm too busy sobbing. :cry: There's a bit about them here. My hunch would be the lower one is the older, but it's just a hunch.

Cheers, Alf

Back