Stanley 50s instructions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've just acquired a Stanley 50s combination plane, and although boxed and in absolutely spanking condition, there are no instructions. Does anyone have a set they could scan for me or know where I can find such a thing?

Come to think of it, does anyone know if the beading blades are available from anywhere?

Cheers all.

Vormulac.

V...

I'm guessing that Alf could be persuaded to scribe a small book on the subject given the slightest pretext.. ;)

Actually I'd be kinda interested myself; I've been toying with the idea of getting one for a while, if only I could justify it.

Hi V
Me and Gidon bought one of these a little while ago-turns out the "s" in the name stands for "straight" cutters only, thats why there's no beading cutters. I see if I can photograph my instructions. Yours got that horrible plastic handle, too?? :oops:
Best regards
Philly :ho2

Thanks Philly, I'd appreciate that :)

I knew mine only had the straight set, but figured it was a pretty cheap way to get some novelty handraulic practise! Actually, mine has a rather nice wooden handle, no idea off-hand what flavour it is though.

Do you have any hints or tips you have gleaned from playing with yours?

Cheers,

V.

Vormulac":3elsyucc said:
Thanks Philly, I'd appreciate that :)

I knew mine only had the straight set, but figured it was a pretty cheap way to get some novelty handraulic practise! Actually, mine has a rather nice wooden handle, no idea off-hand what flavour it is though.

Do you have any hints or tips you have gleaned from playing with yours?

Cheers,

V.

If you get stuck, I think mine has a copy of the instructions in the box.

Adam

Vormulac,

Yes, I have the very same and I believe the instruction book is in it to. I shall scan it for you if you still want me to.

have a great Christmas

cheers,

Ike

Midnight":1g7p0c6x said:
I'm guessing that Alf could be persuaded to scribe a small book on the subject given the slightest pretext.. ;)
Nah, Planecraft's already been written.
tounge.gif

Cheers, Alf

Hi Ike,

A scanned copy of the instructions would be very much appreciated, thank you.

And thanks to everyone for (as usual) the veritable avalanche of help and assistance!

Merry Xmas to you all! :) :ho2

V.

V.
And if all else fails I can scan in mine for you too :).
You're lucky you got one with a wooden handle - I have the horrible plastic one and have failed twice :)oops:) to make an alternative.
It works pretty well for housing joints, but very tricky to use for rebates. It does take practice to keep it level - but overall it works a lot better than I thought it would.
Cheers
Gidon

A scanned copy of the instructions would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Wooden handle? I'm thinking wot wooden 'andle...oh pipper!... I'm sorry but now I remember it's a Record 050 (no, I haven't used it in years!).. Sorry, I'll er, get me coat. :oops: :oops:

gidon":1e2sky3f said:
It does take practice to keep it level
Have you tried adding a deeper wooden facing to the fence? That can help quite a bit.

BTW, if someone does do a scan of the instructions, could I have a copy to put on my site? At the moment I only have a defunct link for #50 instructions, so it'd be nice to fill the gap.

Cheers, Alf

Ike, LOL :lol: Still recovering from the Xmas party eh? :wink: I quite understand!

Gidon, I guess this puts the ball in your court! :)

V.

ike":30bafef5 said:
Wooden handle? I'm thinking wot wooden 'andle...oh pipper!... I'm sorry but now I remember it's a Record 050 (no, I haven't used it in years!).. Sorry, I'll er, get me coat. :oops: :oops:
It could have been an earlier Stanley, if that helps...
smile.gif

Alf":2stoqsfg said:
ike":2stoqsfg said:
smile.gif

Do I get a regloat?

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1915

Having looked at it more carefully, its in even more mint condition than clear from the photos!! :shock: :D

Adam

???? erm...no, but if you could spell that out for me in those pretty, bright coloured magnetic letters.... :roll:

ike":3nbkllre said:

???? erm...no, but if you could spell that out for me in those pretty, bright coloured magnetic letters.... :roll:
Pre-1945 (IIRC) the handle on the Stanley #50 was metal too. Like wot mine is, in fact.

Adam, reliving old gloats? I say, play fair!
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

Vormulac":26bg60fa said:
Gidon, I guess this puts the ball in your court!

Your wish is my command:

http://www.pee-cees.co.uk/temp/stan50.pdf

I've done it a bit quickly so some pages are a little skew-whiff!

Alf feel free to nab it :). And no I haven't tried a deeper facing - I'm sure that would help - thanks.

Adam - that is one nice looking plane - compared to the revolting one I have.

Cheers

Gidon

Thanks Gidon, you are a true gent!

Interestingly, it would appear to differ slightly from mine, although I only only had a little play with trying to assemble it last night before getting back on with wrapping presents for other people :oops: mine had a little lever that protruded into the hand grip area, presumably to raise/lower the blade?

Does anyone else have a similar sort of arrangement on theirs?

V.

Pre-1945 (IIRC) the handle on the Stanley #50 was metal too. Like wot mine is, in fact.

Plink!

...and on that note I'll wish you and everyone else a super Christmas and a happy New Year.

Until 2005...cheers!

Ike

Latest posts

Back