Stanley 50 questions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
This hand tool malarkey must be getting to me! :roll: I've dragged out my Dad's old Stanley 50 to have another go at it. I've only tried it a couple of times in the past and never been particularly impressed with the thing. Anyway, a couple of questions:

Could anyone enlighten me as to where these bits go? (if indeed they belong in the box at all!)

54742614.jpg

The envelope says there's a "shaving deflector for matching tool". That wouldn't be the bit on the left would it? If so, where does it go and what's the "matching tool"?

I can't see anywhere that the screw on the right goes either.

54742657.jpg

Also, does anyone make blades and nickers for this tool these days or is it an Ebay job to get replacements?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Scott
Those bits are a shaving deflector and cutter retaining screw respectively, the bits most often missing from a 50, don't lose them :)
The screw replaces the wing nut bolt when you are not using the sliding section at all, wifde flange on screw bears against side of cutter and wing nut goes on thread, shaving deflector goes instead of depth stop which goes to other side. :? :?
Easy huh!
regards
martin

Aha! All becomes clear! Thanks chaps! :D

Better go sharpen the cutters and have a go then!

Cheers

Adam":2hlop9zm said:
Scott, did you get the instructions?

I can photocopy mine if not, although come to think of it, I bet they are two-a-penny on the net.

Adam

Is that a different manual from the one Alf has put on on the link in my post above? If so, any chance of putting a copy up somewhere?

Jake":2ydmb9gx said:
Is that a different manual from the one Alf has put on on the link in my post above? If so, any chance of putting a copy up somewhere?

No, I think its the same.

Adam

Got a look at them on Alf's site thanks Adam (and thanks Alf!). Not entirely sure of the exact orientation for the shaving deflector but it's academic as it's a 50S so I don't have the tongue cutter anyway and that's what the instructions seem to indicate it's for.

The plane certainly seems to cut a bit better with the iron sharpened properly!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back