Stanley 50 Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about acquiring a Stanley 50 Plane to handle some of the jobs I would normally do with an electric router - I don't always want to use the power-router and sometimes work late at night, so thought a stanley 50 would be an ideal replacement.

There are a few on ebay, and i've seen a few at some recent boot-sales, but wanted to know, what is a good average price to pay for one of these, and are there any particular 'nasties' I should look out for?

Most of the gotcha's are covered in Patrick Leach's B&G.
This is a nice little plane for plowing (ploughing) and beading.

£60 seems to be a popular, and reasonably sensible, price amongst dealers. Martin can probably get one for 50p... A Record price guide of a couple of years ago suggests £30-£60. Others have more ambitious ideas... (That's three seperate links, btw. Didn't come out well) Also consider a Record #050 rather than a Stanley; screw depth adjustment is an improvement over the lever. On the Stanley's, watch out you don't pay over the odds for a Stanley 50"S" which came with the plough blades alone.

Cheers, Alf

An English Stanley 50 in a box should cost around 20-25 quid (usual caveats).

A Record #050 normally carries a 5-10 quid premium over this.

The plastic handled Stanley 13-050 is actually considered a more effective user tool, although it's butt-ugly. It has a really good nicker system, and the same depth adjust as the Record.

http://www.antiquetools.co.uk/0922.html

These sometimes go really cheap (although not from Tony Murland :D)

BugBear

No not really. Just stirrin' the pot.

And I recently read an older thread on WC where BB comments about
Anant's expanded line of planes. Well, not really comments, but, oh heck, let me find it....

Wowza! I know the quality's been(at least historically) suspect, but that's quite a range.
BugBear

In response to someone providing a link to Anant's web site.

Mike

Yeah, I remeber that one. They even do two rebate planes, one with front knob and one without IIRC. I wonder just how bad an Anant would have to be to be unusable... :-k

Cheers, Alf

Back