Stanley 41/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought an old 41/2 smoothing plane for £20 in an antiques shop, it seems to be useable. I've no idea how much these things fetch but seemed like a good price - any thoughts?

They also had an infill plane with a low angle blade for £85 and a infill shoulder plane for £50 but couldn't see a name on either.

Is there a web site where I might identify old planes?

Manny":2bgdfmcq said:
Bought an old 41/2 smoothing plane for £20 in an antiques shop, it seems to be useable. I've no idea how much these things fetch but seemed like a good price - any thoughts?
For an Anteek shop that's virtually gloatable. :)

Manny":2bgdfmcq said:
They also had an infill plane with a low angle blade for £85 and a infill shoulder plane for £50 but couldn't see a name on either.
Low angle infill? That could be promising... A high percentage of infill planes were craftsman made - looked down on by c*ll*ct*rs but frequently make excellent users - so no names :( . For an idea of the various infill plane types Trinder's Fine Tools isn't bad. Take a look at the guides to Norris and Mathieson planes. Other than that regular visits to the tool dealers' sites is an education in itself (once you cotton on to who's talking sensibly and who's having a laugh at the 'Murricans expense of course). Chris has sewn up the nomination for Stanley info, although if it's a USA one you might want to date it.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Manny

I'd say £20 was reasonable from an antique shop because they've got to make their cut (ouch!). I bought one at auction last year for much less than that, but then again, someone else could have out bid me.

Yours

Gill

Thanks folks

I havn't had a chance to try it out yet but everythings working, its got a nice feel to it and a good bit heavier than the 4. I'll check out the websites next.

cheers

Latest posts

Back