Stanley 40 Vs 40 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gabriele

I would not like to grind a scrub plane without some mechanical help (power or treadle!) since there is so much metal to remove. Still, it can be done if you have big biceps and are not afraid of tennis elbow :p

You could mark off the outline on the blade, then use sandpaper, beginning with 60 grit. It is going to be hard work. Better still, find someone who has a powered grinder.

Once I have a basic grind done (as above), I would hone freehand on my waterstones. Now I also have the choice of my belt sander grinder (with belts to 4 micron, followed by Veritas rouge at 0.5 micron).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Gabriele

I would not like to grind a scrub plane without some mechanical help (power or treadle!) since there is so much metal to remove. Still, it can be done if you have big biceps and are not afraid of tennis elbow :p

You could mark off the outline on the blade, then use sandpaper, beginning with 60 grit. It is going to be hard work. Better still, find someone who has a powered grinder.

Once I have a basic grind done (as above), I would hone freehand on my waterstones. Now I also have the choice of my belt sander grinder (with belts to 4 micron, followed by Veritas rouge at 0.5 micron).

Regards from Perth

Derek

OK. I'm not very athletic. :roll: :oops: I think I'll wait electric grinder, when I'll be in the new house.
Thanks agains for the advices. :wink:

Back