Stanley 271

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ham

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone pass on some words of wisdom as to a good method of sharpening the blade on a 271? I find it very difficult to hold it in a consistent manner and consequently the bevel has a somewhat multifaceted look about it!

Cheers, David

...or one could wait for a better mousetrap....

Any commercial jig that can do a #271 cutter, I'd like to see. The most versatile on the current market (AFAIK) is the fasttrak honing system.

My (current) best thought is that the true exotics (e.g. that tank cutter blade) requires the jig to run on the bench, not the stone.

I use a range of jigs and guides, determined by the complexity of the task at hand.

BugBear

In reply to the OP; if you just want to dip a toe in the water of "ULTIMATE SHARPENING", just use clamps to cobble together a horizontal runner (cross piece) in place of my wheeled axle, and use a clamp at the top joint (where I have a coach bolt and wing nut).

This was what I did, and it's success led to me bulding the mk II illustratred on my site.

BugBear

bugbear":3282z7e3 said:
...or one could wait for a better mousetrap....

Any commercial jig that can do a #271 cutter, I'd like to see. (snip)
BugBear

...ah - I was referring to the #271 itself... :)

Then again, I don't think ours will be a "271".... it has a few twists you see...

Cheers -

Rob
(trolling for Alf - but apparently using the wrong bait.... :) )

Rob Lee":14zbfhu8 said:
(trolling for Alf - but apparently using the wrong bait.... :) )
No, just a blind fish. :roll: You appeared to have dressed your bait up as a honing guide and this little fishy wasn't tempted. Not that I'm saying the intended bait would have worked of course...

<pushes three router planes under the carpet and pockets two others while whistling and trying to look innocent>

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back