Stanley 130 plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
At yesterday's car boot sale I picked up a Stanley 130 plane for the huge sum (for me) of £10. It was in its original box, marked 15s/9d, complete with the anti rust paper and looked to be unused. The blade has a single hollow ground bevel. Would this be as sold?
The Blood and Gore website suggests that these were made up until 1955. Is this correct as I have seen them on ebay claiming to be from the 60's or 70's? The box is not the usual Stanley orange but has a striped beige coloured lid.

Blood and Gore might be right for the USA but the story is different over here. Someone told me at the weekend that there was a period (60s?) when Stanley had stopped making planes in the US but exported them from England to meet the residual demand. I have no written source for that but he's well informed on old tools.

I have a few references that may help with dates and retail prices in the UK.

From 1957, a general pamphlet which pops up with several different shop names on it - in my case Tyzack of Shoreditch. 19s 6d.

From 1959, Gardiner of Bristol, still 19s 6d.

From a supplement to the Woodworker in 1960, - can you guess - 19s 6d. Anyone young enough to not know about Retail Price Maintenance can Google it!

So, I'd think that your one could be before WWII and post war inflation. A picture might be nice.

whiskywill":2um1dahh said:
The blade has a single hollow ground bevel. Would this be as sold?
Quite likely, if the diameter is very large I'd say almost certainly.

Congrats on the purchase BTW, it's more than people often pay for planes at car boots over there but it's well worth that money. Even more so if you want to sell it on with its box, which some people covet.

AndyT":3052spo6 said:
A picture might be nice.

Thanks for the info. A picture will follow when I find my cable.

The box is a mysteryh. I have Googled all sorts of variations on Google images but can't find anything like it.

whiskywill":24cczakk said:
The box is a mysteryh. I have Googled all sorts of variations on Google images but can't find anything like it.
Australian market maybe?

Back