Standing Desk (my first project in 15 years)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveChild

Reaction score
I'm making a standing desk, mostly out of recycled wood. So far, it's going ok, but I wanted to ask for a little help and guidance from people with more experience than me!

If you want to see what I've done so far, this is the set of photos of the build to this point (sorry about the unclickable link - I'm not allowed to post links yet): imgur.co m/a/BczGu#0

If that's a bit too much, this is the latest dry assembly: i.imgur.co m/9IxyA.jpg

I'm working on sanding and filling at the moment, and then will see if I can stain it, or if it needs paint on the frame. If I paint the frame, the top will be stained dark. If not, the whole thing will be stained a lighter oak-like colour.

The two questions I've got (so far) are:

1. Is that likely to be stable enough with monitors on top? I'm worried it could move sideways ...

2. The monitors are going to be attached with a stand at the back. It's basically a clamp with a pole on top. I'm not sure of the best way to minimise the damage this will cause the wood on top. Can you suggest anything?

P.S. Also, woodwork is awesome. I've not done anything since my teens, and spent the last three days hammering, sawing, chiselling and otherwise having a great time. I've missed it! :D

DaveChild":39vbidmg said:
I'm making a standing desk, mostly out of recycled wood. So far, it's going ok, but I wanted to ask for a little help and guidance from people with more experience than me!

If you want to see what I've done so far, this is the set of photos of the build to this point (sorry about the unclickable link - I'm not allowed to post links yet): imgur.co m/a/BczGu#0

If that's a bit too much, this is the latest dry assembly:
9IxyA.jpg

I'm working on sanding and filling at the moment, and then will see if I can stain it, or if it needs paint on the frame. If I paint the frame, the top will be stained dark. If not, the whole thing will be stained a lighter oak-like colour.

The two questions I've got (so far) are:

1. Is that likely to be stable enough with monitors on top? I'm worried it could move sideways ...

2. The monitors are going to be attached with a stand at the back. It's basically a clamp with a pole on top. I'm not sure of the best way to minimise the damage this will cause the wood on top. Can you suggest anything?

P.S. Also, woodwork is awesome. I've not done anything since my teens, and spent the last three days hammering, sawing, chiselling and otherwise having a great time. I've missed it! :D

I've quoted and fixed your image, you can't post images until you have 3 posts. And you need to use the full url encapsulated in
Code:
 [img][/img]
like this:

Code:
 [img]www.i.imgur.com/9IxyA.jpg[/img]

To the woodwork, looks great. Your on the woodworking slope now! A desk is how I got started. How are the legs attached to the top, are they screwed on from behind? I'd say that looks more than sturdy enough. When you say worried about it moving sideways, thats called racking. Does it do that at the moment? As for the clamping the top, get a few squares of 3mm MDF and put these where the jaws of the clamp will go. They should minimize any damage to the top.

How are the legs attached to the top, are they screwed on from behind?

The finished desk will be in four pieces (it needs to get up two narrow flights of stairs) - the right legs, left legs, bottom shelf (and cross supports) and top (and cross supports). I'm going to use brackets to screw the top and shelf to their top supports. Those two bits fit into the legs with ... not sure what it's called, but it's a joint where you cut halfway through both pieces of wood and slot them together.

When you say worried about it moving sideways, thats called racking. Does it do that at the moment?

No, no racking at the moment. It stays pretty still.

As for the clamping the top, get a few squares of 3mm MDF and put these where the jaws of the clamp will go. They should minimize any damage to the top.

That's the sort of thing I was thinking, but was hoping there was a better way :)

I would guess with use that will rack.

Is it a desk to sit at? If so that lower shelf is asking for someone to put their feet on it, if they don't it's a real shin scraper.

To minimise racking what about a broad board running at the back just below the top from leg to leg?

Looks good.

Mick

Hi Mick. The bottom shelf doubles as a footrest.

Since varnishing the racking is much reduced. I was wondering about adding a couple of crossed cables at the back to reduce it if it gets worse though. Is that at all effective?

Also, I finished enough that I was able to start using the thing. Here's the latest photo (plus there's a few more at the original album):

T3avuh.jpg

Looks great, top notch first project. What stain is that, looks good on that pine? Forget about the racking, it won't be a big deal and in a few months/years you'll probably want to remake the desk anyway. What your second project going to be?

Thanks very much :)

The stain was a layer of cuprinol antique pine wood dye, with a few layers of clear satin varnish on the top.

Next ... I've got a lot of the recycled wood left from this project (changed the plans several times, and only ended up using half of the wood), so probably something that's going to get a lot of wear and tear. Maybe a storage unit for under my stairs. I'd also like to replace the ikea TV stand I've got with something more substantial (and made of real wood).

I'd also like to do a few small bits - a couple of boxes to practice joints etc, and a shooting board.

Once I'm a bit more comfortable with my skills, a replacement for my (also ikea) crappy dining table is on the list ...

Sounds like you've already got a long list of projects to keep you busy, but you missed off a woodworkers most important project - buying more tools!

Latest posts

Back