standard door thickness?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to design a pair of doors for a project, it's actually a sort of hatch with two doors, that divides the garage space from under the floor in a bungalow,

I could make them 19, 35 or 50mm thick, I want them to block a certain amount of sound as well so may end up adding a strip that seals them and makes it airtight, I can go up to 50mm thick but using 20mm thick panels might look a bit weird within 50mm thick frames.

it'll be frame and panel construction, using hand tools, haunched mortise and tenons, I might end up painting it, it's all made from redwood pine as well, I've made a dovetailed door lining which the doors will be hinged into, similar really to a dovetailed wall cabinet construction with two doors hinged from the edges out to a centre line where they meet with a rebated edge.

what's a typical door thickness for this kind of thing? cheers,

tyreman.

Generally, what I see as a "bog standard" are 44mm thick doors as that's what's mostly being fitted in houses these days, but the old standard was 35mm / 1 3/8". There's no reason you couldn't do them whatever you fancied though!

Generally, what I see as a "bog standard" are 44mm thick doors as that's what's mostly being fitted in houses these days, but the old standard was 35mm / 1 3/8". There's no reason you couldn't do them whatever you fancied though!

thanks, what thickness panel would you put into a door of that thickness? are there any standard rules with that kind of thing? If I made 44mm thick doors would 40mm panels be over the top? I could glue 2 x 20mm thick panels together.

thanks, what thickness panel would you put into a door of that thickness? are there any standard rules with that kind of thing? If I made 44mm thick doors would 40mm panels be over the top? I could glue 2 x 20mm thick panels together.

I think 40mm panels would be a little over the top, 25-30mm would be about right if you're making raised panels. I'd be tempted to make two slimmer panels and put a bit of bubblewrap or polystyrene and tinfoil inbetween to insulate it.

A 35mm door always seems flimsy to me.
44 mm is a proper door, I tend to make raised panels a little thinner, maybe 38mm or so, but it depends a bit on the size of the panel, the moulding for the panel and the moulding for the stiles. If in doubt make a dummy panel from pine or mdf just to check.

Ollie

Back