Stand for Axminster ac305wl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandiphoto

Reaction score
Hi All
I’m new to wood turning and have just purchased an Axminster ac305 lathe and just wondered if anyone can recommend a stand for this model. I ha be it on a bench at the moment but I’m worried that it won’t take the weight over time. Thanks for your input.

Its a bit weird, Axminster don't make one for your lathe (unless I've missed it). You could always email them to see if this stand would work Axminster Stand For AC355WL/AT350WL Lathes

Out of stock at the moment but its listed for the AT350 and AC355, I think yours falls in between those (distance between centres) so might be worth asking. I intend getting one at some point to replace my 'temp' home made bench.

Thanks Scooby,
I’ve been in touch with Axninster but unfortunately this stand isn’t compatible with AC305. I’ve managed to source a universal adaptable one on eBay. I’ll update once I’ve had the chance to try out. Just hoping it isn’t too flimsy 🤔

There is nothing wrong with a good solid wood lathe bench either. Some turners actually prefer a wood stand as it helps absorb vibration.
Regards
John

Thanks John, that’s useful information. Stand isn’t coming until next week. I did wonder about mounting the lathe on wood prior to attaching it to the stand. Has anyone done this?

Don't see what harm it could do, as long as your stand adjusts enough to get the lathe to the correct height. I'd rather bolt it straight to the frame though.

Thanks John, that’s useful information. Stand isn’t coming until next week. I did wonder about mounting the lathe on wood prior to attaching it to the stand. Has anyone done this?
My stand is wood and on its second lathe now. Got the idea from a plan in a Keith Rowley Woodturning book.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Woodturni...ocphy=9071707&hvtargid=pla-311587571245&psc=1Made It when I started turning as the book was in the box of tools came with my first lathe. Build the stand good and chunky and it will last a lifetime.
Good book for starting out with too.

IMG_1673.JPG

Regards
John

Thanks all for your help. There’s a lot to get to grips with when starting out so your input is invaluable.

confession coming up.....
A couple of years ago my not insubstantial Jet1220 lathe temporarily landed on an IKEA Micke desk that was waiting for me to give it a lift to the tip. It’s still there.
The desk is a perfect height, has a drawer and cupboard for storage and seems to be holding up well although I haven’t turned anything seriously out of balance to really test it. There again, the lathe isn’t bolted down to it either - must do that.
I can’t see me spending money on anything else until I need to.

Don't know what they charged you for a stand, but have a look at garage benches in Machine Mart or on e bay. You can get a pretty substantial one with a thick wooden top for about £100. More than man enough for the job, and most have a drawer and bottom shelf so extra storage as well.

Hi All

finally got around to setting up lathe on new stand. Seems to be really sturdybut have attached wooden top to give me an area to put things on when changing chucks etc. Thanks all for your help. I’m looking forward to getting started 🥳

Back