stairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolly47

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Need help and advice regarding stairs
I am going to fit metal spindles to oak stairs and I don’t want them to rattle my questions are
How do I fix the spindles and the pieces of wood that separates the spindles in the groves of base rail & hand rail, cascamite, mastic or what?
Do I also nail or panel pin the pieces of wood that separates the spindles while the above goes off?

Many thanks

Hi
cast iron

IMG_20190115_114720.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190115_114720.jpg
    IMG_20190115_114720.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 132
Beautiful! Are those gaps under 100mm?

I would really worry about this. If it were for a client I'd be warning of staining of the timber around the contact points with the iron. It might be OK if the moisture levels in the house remain permanently low, but it might not.

Hi
Spacing will be 99mm when finished
base rail and hand rails are coated inside with bona megan floor Finish, spindle will be painted with two pack car body paint which should keep them apart, hence the question whether to use low modulus silicone or cascamite glue with duct tape to set the spacers and spindles as belt and brace
as for moisture levels I spend more time worrying about people wiping everything over with a wet cloth or water based furniture polish?

Back