Stairs finally finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modernist

Established Member
Reaction score
After months of delays and interruptions I finally got the stairs finished today. The handrail was not as simple as it looks, mainly owing to issues with the steelwork.

I started off just mitre sawing the round rail (on the new Metabo which proved excellent) then drilled and bored the ends for the Zipbolts leaving 50mm along the centreline. I was able to put the borings on the outside of the bends so only one plug would be visible. I made a mitre guide for the shooting board to clean up the ends.

IMG_0386.jpg

No doubt to Bob's horror I did a dry fit to see how they would nip up.

IMG_0388.jpg

I then went back to the bench and glued and fastened the mitres and plugged the access holes with Appleby tapered plugs. I think these are well worth while as they banged in tight before bottoming on the hardware which was a pleasant surprise.

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

After that is was straight forwards to screw it all together and sand to finish.

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

Thank God it's finished.

bosshogg":3b8285qt said:
Niiiiice did you do all the treads and partial risers to?...bosshogg :)

Yes, all jointed with a No 7 and cleaned up with a LA smoother honed to 45 deg for the Cherry.

That is excellent workman ship, I am sure given a month of sundays I couldn't get joints as nice as those on such crazy angles!

Lovely stairs to suit lovely Matlock!

Fantastic work there - Something to be really proud of! Well Done =D> =D>

houtslager":1w7jll2r said:
impressive work there, how did you find the "zip-lock"fittings in use?

k

Thereby hangs a tail!

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

I first saw these at the W10 exhibition a year ago and took home some samples. These worked well but when I tried to buy some they were almost unobtainable with very poor service from the importer. Several forum members gave up in the process. At the same time the design changed fundamentally, no longer requiring the separate tool. As a result it took several months to finally obtain what I needed.

In use, providing you drill accurately they are excellent but you have to be careful to avoid putting the 25mm side hole where handrail pillars etc may prevent access for tightening and plugging. Even knowing that I had to plug several points with the rail turned through 90 deg then force it into final position which was not always easy.

Overall I think they are a good idea but need some thought in the application. I suspect they will prove good at holding mitres firmly together which makes up for the difficulties.

Back