Staircase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that I've worked out how to load photos from my phone here's a picture of a staircase I'm currently building , its now ready for building in.
The treads are veneered in 2.5mm Ash the rest will be plaster boarded and skimmed then a glass screen fixed to the open side.

Attachments

• IRS20190518_133356.jpg
    IRS20190518_133356.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 291
Aspiring to new heights?
Just kidding, having seen a little of your work in progress I doubt there are many similar constructs made with a better precision of fit .

Initial glance at the image rendered the thought that it was a bit elaborate just to reach the upper storage racks.

Looks like that new Shop is big enough to be a pleasure to work in.

MikeG.":cz4enz9w said:
What's happening with the risers, below the lip?
Probably painted to match the plasterboard?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Worse than that, they will be plaster board and plastered!
And no I'm not the designer only the maker.

Chrispy":ayctw9j2 said:
Worse than that, they will be plaster board and plastered!
They look smart though regardless if bits get plasterboarded. Looks like you've some decent racking aswell. Before Christmas I rearranged my sheet and timber storage-makes life so much easier when everything has a place.

Chrispy":1baugukl said:
....... they will be plaster board and plastered!

Oh my good god. Some people think their ideas are just so clever, don't they. When that plaster has been kicked to smithereens, maybe they'll chop it out and put in a piece of painted MDF instead. And pity the poor plasterer who has to do the work in the first place. It also means that this stair has to be fitted in one piece (except maybe the turn at the bottom). I hope they've thought that through.

Anyway, well done on a nice job. It's not your fault the design has it's flaws.

Update, as of Monday this week I finally finished off this staircase that I started in April, and yes the glass really is as heavy as it looks.
IRS20191024_221002.jpg

IRS20191024_221045.jpg

IRS20191024_221140.jpg

Attachments

• IRS20191024_221140.jpg
    IRS20191024_221140.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IRS20191024_221045.jpg
    IRS20191024_221045.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IRS20191024_221002.jpg
    IRS20191024_221002.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 133
That looks really smart !! Does that glass run right up from the bottom to the upstairs handrail height ? Wowsers

Looks far better installed than when you described it. I like the consistent finish wrapping into the risers but time will tell how well it holds up. On that note, and I’m not coming from any position of experience here, why veneered rather than solid ash? It doesn’t look like price was the driving factor?

Both stability and consistently, using 2.5mm construction veneer it all came up the same clean colour and grain.
Simple designs are more often than not the more difficult to make.

ColeyS1":25dvujql said:
That looks really smart !! Does that glass run right up from the bottom to the upstairs handrail height ? Wowsers

Yes 3.2m was the tallest.

Chrispy":1at4vt3c said:
ColeyS1":1at4vt3c said:

Yes 3.2m was the tallest.
That class must have cost a few pennys ! I knocked the corner off a piece of glass balustrade, it broke my heart ordering a replacement lol

phil.p":17exj1m3 said:
I wouldn't have thought you should be able to knock a corner off.
I took delivery of the glass then decided to move it somewhere safer. I put a couple of bearers down on the floor but as I lowered the glass the corner dinged the concrete and chipped the corner. I think that mistake cost me about £150.

I look at all that glass, and think of small children with smeary fingers. Dogs that drool. Dogs that wait until they are in the house before shaking (hint: always teach your dog to shake before he comes into the house).

sRjeCd.gif

I imagine the cost of a cleaner is budgeted for by the architect before he begins the brief?

Corners and edges are the worst - so much stress built-in by the tempering, that it didn't take much to ping off a chip. DAMHIOK!

Back