Staircase treads...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work, thanks for posting the pics. Did the wax change the colour at all? Wife definitely prefers the lighter colour but the oil I used made it darker.

I use sawdust and pva, which very rarely matches the surrounding wood, so I tint the filler with acrylic, usually burnt umber. If you go darker than the wood it looks more natural than going too light. Water based finishes go just fine over these.

I'd just mix ordinary pva wood glue with sawdust.

I use sawdust and pva, which very rarely matches the surrounding wood, so I tint the filler with acrylic, usually burnt umber. If you go darker than the wood it looks more natural than going too light. Water based finishes go just fine over these.

Great, I’ve got plenty of that. Does it sand OK? Not something I’ve tried before.

Yes I (and others) use it a lot, normally to fill badly fitting joints 😬 and yes if you get the right amount of sawdust to glue it sands well without looking like a glue splodge. I suggest testing it on a piece of scrap. Knock a few nail holes in it then try different proportions of sawdust to glue. Sand when dry then apply whatever stain/varnish/paint you intend to use.

This cheered me up - one of my favourite YouTubers...

Bit annoyed he did it in 3 days, I was going to say he obviously doesn’t have kids until he pulled out a packet of baby wipes.

This cheered me up - one of my favourite YouTubers...

Bit annoyed he did it in 3 days, I was going to say he obviously doesn’t have kids until he pulled out a packet of baby wipes.

I watched this on Youtube last night and thought I would add it to this thread then found it's already here!

The handrail he made looked fantastic, I'm looking forwards to the video of him making it.

How did he do it in 3 days? I needed 3 coats of paint stripper, hours of (cold) scraping of 100 year old varnish that heat only turned to glue, minor filling, moderate sanding, touching up white dents and nail holes with acrylic, 3 coats of wax and 2 of white gloss on all surrounding woodwork. 15 treads and risers at 3 hours each (minimum) makes 45 hours without breaks. Budget 2 solid weeks for this job

Last edited:
The top step was beyond saving, so I made a new tread - a few mm thicker than the old one to (combined with new ply subfloor which is a few mm thinner than the old floorboards upstairs) give me the transition needed for the carpet.

A8CA2A86-CE2C-4EB6-A9B2-81AF9A7AE4E6.jpeg

The problem is the new pine seems very soft and dents easily. Presumably the stuff used for the rest of the steps would have been better quality than this off-the-shelf PSE. Is there anything I can do to harden it up before finishing? Or should I be looking for a reclaimed board instead?

2582A754-D220-4A6D-967A-3C39DD3C9A40.jpeg

Hi, I was wondering how you got on with this? I’m going through a very similar process at the moment and my girlfriend also isn’t too keen on the ‘rustic’ look of some of the darker scuffs. It’s not so much the different colour in the middle but there are a lot of small dents that have gathered grime over the years and stand out a lot when wet, so assume they will also when the finish goes on.

did you have much luck with oxalic acid?

Wondering if it will remove these little blemishes. I’ve tried sanding and scrubbing with wire wool and white spirit but they won’t budge. I’ve bought some osmo ‘tints’ oil in an amber colour to finish but not sure it’ll hide them

Attachments

• 5B6F0D71-C753-4C33-8A08-9101ED839DC1.jpeg
    5B6F0D71-C753-4C33-8A08-9101ED839DC1.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 54EA17B0-C576-4AD8-B28D-9EB570B657A5.jpeg
    54EA17B0-C576-4AD8-B28D-9EB570B657A5.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi, I was wondering how you got on with this? I’m going through a very similar process at the moment and my girlfriend also isn’t too keen on the ‘rustic’ look of some of the darker scuffs. It’s not so much the different colour in the middle but there are a lot of small dents that have gathered grime over the years and stand out a lot when wet, so assume they will also when the finish goes on.

did you have much luck with oxalic acid?

Wondering if it will remove these little blemishes. I’ve tried sanding and scrubbing with wire wool and white spirit but they won’t budge. I’ve bought some osmo ‘tints’ oil in an amber colour to finish but not sure it’ll hide them

Hi,

All the plastering and paint needed to be done first, and with the lockdown and home schooling two small kids that’s only just reaching completion...

Hoping to update soon but I haven’t done anything further on the treads yet. Keen to see results of any more experiments you do!

I have fewer dark blemishes and intended to fill these with dust / glue. The oxalic acid I’m hoping will lighten the area where the carpet has been.

I’ve ordered some oxalic acid and going to try a test step this weekend, will let you know how it goes. Pretty much my last resort, after that I’m just going to finish it with one or two coats of the osmo tint

did you use any epoxy resin for cracks? I’m not sure whether to repair a couple of the cracks or not. Think they look quite nice in a way.

I’ve ordered some oxalic acid and going to try a test step this weekend, will let you know how it goes. Pretty much my last resort, after that I’m just going to finish it with one or two coats of the osmo tint

did you use any epoxy resin for cracks? I’m not sure whether to repair a couple of the cracks or not. Think they look quite nice in a way.

I’ve got some epoxy but consensus on here was PVA would be fine. Some of the cracks I have to deal with are fairly bad...

AC7461D8-9C6B-4E6E-946A-D3BA05E26CFC.jpeg

Ah right - I guess if they’re at the edges that’s different. The ones I’m considering leaving are sort of splits in the middle (pictured)

Back