Staircase spindle movement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be constructive, a possible solution would be an apron rail as I suggested above. If we step back a few decades and consult the FOC on line copy of Riley's Manual of Carpentry and Joinery, figure 848 on page 438 shows a rail in use. Sketch 839 on page431 may also help.
It's no good trying to repair the joints showing a gap, the handrail won't support the sagging string!
I don't think any insurer providing public liability cover will pay out on injury caused by a failure of the staircase.

I did as you suggested Mike and I have screenshot it it for on here but I don’t really think it’s going to be usably large enough, I had to get a magnifying glass to my iPad screen.
I’m sure Mr Riley is an expert but his cut strings look too meagre as well and the apron rail the way he does it really isn’t structural, I think it’s more decorative.
As was mentioned recently did the OP just fit the balustrades? If so he is in the clear.
Oh they haven’t come out too bad.
E196AB5D-884E-4BF1-B59F-5B64AFCEA8AE.png
32D79AB5-9626-4EA0-9DE0-7B26A28FF8F7.png

It appears that it is still being published, came across a 2018 copy of the original 1905 version. I think I shall have to buy a copy, not for this problem staircase, just a different/traditional perspective on how things used to be done, or in other words done properly.

I had in mind a beefed up section to support the string.
JW Riley's book was the standard text book when I went to the Tech in 1959
I still refer to it occasionally. My copy is dated 1952, I bought a second hand one for my son more than 20 years back after being told it was out of print,

Amongst the suggestions, Max....a truly bad habit has become par-for-the-course since the battery drill was widely introduced...turning a screw through all the timber to be connected without drilling a clearance hole

My intention was a pocket screw of decent length in a properly formed hole, not ideal but if it was angled so there was a decent amount of timber left under it to pull against would definitly pull everything together

Attachments

• 1601909560355.png
    1601909560355.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Sorry for gatecrashing this thread, i joined this forum to resolve another issue and happened on this subject.
seeing the photo of cut the string staircase i'm hoping you were employed to fit handrail and spindles ect
and not the maker of the staircase?
Theres not anything like enough meat under those treads on the cut string and its no surprise its flexing and opening up under the spindles which ought to be dovetailed into the treads.
i"m thinking you need to persuade the client they need some storage space,fit a structural spandrel panel to transfer the load down to the floor and if you"r ever making this type of staircase in the future make sure you have at least 150 mm at the narrowest point of the cut string and don:t be shy about over egging the thickness of this component if its unsupported. i hope you manage to resolve the issue..

Back