Stair Tread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys need some advice i am about to refurbish my staircase and thinking of changing the stair treads old ones have far to many nails and cracks bad rely bad. can i use 32mm laminated hardwood boards for treads and if anyone know any timber merchant who has them. for risers i am thinking 18mm plywood.some pics i have added.
Kind regards

Ahmad

DSCF4060 (600 x 450).jpg

DSCF4065 (600 x 450).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF4060 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCF4060 (600 x 450).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCF4065 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCF4065 (600 x 450).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 187
If the staircase is going to be painted with a central run of carpet, as it is now, use MDF for the treads. I would do the risers the same thickness as the old ones to suit the trenches, either MDF or plywood

Depending on how the kite winder sits in the newel, you might find you cannot put your replacement tread in...

A new single winder like that made and fitted would set you back about a grand. Replacing all the treads, risers and making a neat job of it is going to be very time consuming :)

you could always cut off the nosings on the treads and put an oak plant on the front put some 6mm oak venered ply on the treads and the same on the risers, i did this years ago on a stairs for someone and it looked well when it was finnished, i also scribed up the sides of the strings aswell (tricky).

hi thanks for for you replies guys dibs i was thinking of epoxy but the problem is the risers have cracks as well and in some treads and risers have half a centimeter gap so the squeak quite badly.
james hi i read some were that mdf is not a good choice for for treads. may be i am wrong i was thinking white risers and hardwood oiled treads. what do you think i don't know i am throwing some ideas i have....... 18mm risers are fitted and i am replace them with same thickness i know it will be time consuming but i like to dive into things and fingers crossed some thing nice will come out.

regards

ahmad

Latest posts

Back